Hi everyone

steve r

Hi everyone, just a few lines to say hello. I've just got into this carnivorous plant bug within the last couple of months and have done nothing but read about them.  But I thought it best to join your forum for the advise and help I will need to make my plants flourish. At the moment I have a few small plants such as, Sarracenia (maroon), Nepenthes alata, Dionaea muscipula, Drosera aliciae, and a baby Drosera spatulata which I managed to pot up and keep alive. I have also just bought a Drosera seed mix which I intend to sow (might need some help there). So if any of you guys would like to add your 2 pence worth to help me through this newbie stage I would be grateful.

Speak soon Atb, Steve.

Welcome Steve. Hope you have plenty of room....these plants are addictive. I started with two.....now 2 greenhouses ain't enough :laugh:. Very helpful people here, always willing to give advice and info. I sowed my Drosera directly on top of wet spag.(kept wet via the tray method)..currently about 50% have germinated well...and also a mixed packet.

• Like 1

Thanks Keith, I'll be keeping my plants in my conservatory which is 7.5m x 7m so should have enough room for a while, but how long for I don't know. But I do know when I get into a new hobby I go all out for it, so shouldn't be to long before I'm needing a green house :biggrin:. I'll be sowing my Drosera seeds asap, once I can sort out how to resize pics I'll post them to show my progress, when ever that may be :laugh:.

3 hours ago, billynomates666 said:

Hi Steve and welcome.

You have joined a great bunch of people with a knowledge base that will be able to answer almost anything’s no you need to know on CPs  and Keith is right it becomes very addictive.

cheers

steve

Hello Steve, thanks for the reply mate, I'm looking forward to talking to you guys about this new found hobby of mine.

I can't stop looking at them to make sure there alright :biggrin:.

Atb, Steve.

DSC_0283.JPG

Edited by steve r

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. You’ve got a nice collection there. You’re patient to start CP’s in winter but should finally start to see some growth now as spring takes hold. The plants I keep in the porch have woken up and pushing up new pitchers, the sarra. outside is still dormant.

The D. Aliciae does not look like it has much dew, it may just be the picture. How long have you had it? It could still be in shock from being placed in its new home, it will take longer to recover in winter. If it is lacking dew then try increase the amount of sun it gets, as much full sun as possible. Keep it moist, this time of year my plants are sitting in water trays again. Also try to increase the humidity, not sure if you have central heating in your conservatory which may be drying it out.

The Nepenthes looks healthy though, the new pitchers on the end of the leaves will normally shrivel away if the humidity is to low.

Are you tempted to split the aliciae?

What peat moss and water are you using?

Hi Steve like you I'm am new to this , I have read that you should cut the flower spike off your Venus fly trap cos it saps energy from plant , if you do cut it off cut it into 2inch pieces and place on moist peat perlite mix and in a couple of months baby fly traps, also they need to sleep over winter or they will eventually die and yours looks wide awake ,mine are all still in the land of nod(or they have all died) ,Just an observation.

Edited by Paul.m

4 hours ago, Oddworld1000 said:

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. You’ve got a nice collection there. You’re patient to start CP’s in winter but should finally start to see some growth now as spring takes hold. The plants I keep in the porch have woken up and pushing up new pitchers, the sarra. outside is still dormant.

The D. Aliciae does not look like it has much dew, it may just be the picture. How long have you had it? It could still be in shock from being placed in its new home, it will take longer to recover in winter. If it is lacking dew then try increase the amount of sun it gets, as much full sun as possible. Keep it moist, this time of year my plants are sitting in water trays again. Also try to increase the humidity, not sure if you have central heating in your conservatory which may be drying it out.

The Nepenthes looks healthy though, the new pitchers on the end of the leaves will normally shrivel away if the humidity is to low.

Are you tempted to split the aliciae?

What peat moss and water are you using?

Hi Oddworld thanks for the welcome. as I said I've been reading up on Cp's for the last couple of months and still know nothing :biggrin:, but have only collected the plants from my local nursery in the last few weeks. All the plants are still in there original pots with the original medium which looks like peat, apart from the Drosera spatulata which I bought bare rooted and potted up in some thrive. The plants are getting as much sun as they can atm in my conservatory, and they are standing in a water tray. I'm spraying them once a day to help with the humidity, so in future I'll make sure the new pitchers are missed well. I will split the Aliciae when I know how and feel confident enough, but for now I'll just enjoy looking at it. I bought a 5 ltr bag of thrive and some dried sphagnum moss witch came in cubes. Water, I either use distilled or RO water.

1 hour ago, Paul.m said:

Hi Steve like you I'm am new to this , I have read that you should cut the flower spike off your Venus fly trap cos it saps energy from plant , if you do cut it off cut it into 2inch pieces and place on moist peat perlite mix and in a couple of months baby fly traps, also they need to sleep over winter or they will eventually die and yours looks wide awake ,mine are all still in the land of nod(or they have all died) ,Just an observation.

Hi Paul, from one newbie to another welcome. I'll have to have a read and find out about cutting the flower spike off, thanks for that. The plants were awake when I bought them not long ago, so I'll let them go dormant next winter, well the ones that need to go dormant anyway. Thanks for the heads up on the flower spike.

Hi and welcome to the forum. To get dew on your Drosera you need to increase the humidity until your plant gets used to your conditions. This can be done by erecting a plastic bag over the pot (may need supporting with canes) and slowly increasing the ventilation by cutting off the bag corners over days and weeks. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people on here. Also, when you've been on here a month or so you'll have access to the Sales and Wants pages so you can buy more plants!

4 hours ago, linuxman said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. To get dew on your Drosera you need to increase the humidity until your plant gets used to your conditions. This can be done by erecting a plastic bag over the pot (may need supporting with canes) and slowly increasing the ventilation by cutting off the bag corners over days and weeks. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people on here. Also, when you've been on here a month or so you'll have access to the Sales and Wants pages so you can buy more plants!

Thanks Martin. I've used zip lock bags to raise the humidity for my succulents in the past, so  I'll do the same with for the Drosera to get back It's dew.                                                 It's good to know that the cpukf has a friendly atmosphere, unlike some of the car forums I frequent :biggrin:.                                                                                                                                 I'm looking forward to buying more CP's when the time comes, so I'll give you a shout mate.