That process is called scarification:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

It is done to help germination, in particular to seeds that have a hard coat or that are inhibited from germinating until it goes through an animal's digestive tract or suffers some physical damage. For that some seeds are quickly submerged in acid or polished to remove its protection.

I did it a few times with citrus seeds (removing the peel), but never seen it being done to carnivorous plant seeds before.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎4‎日 at 11:24 PM, PofW_Feathers said:

Is there anybody being familiar with the technical terms?

I call what I removed the Nepenthes seed husk. Some members on TerraForums, where I am stubborn, arrogant, and....:smile:, call it the Nepenthes seed coat. TerraForums

The membrane that I provisionally call the seed coat still wraps the actual seed, except the one end where the root will be emerging. It still seems to protect the seed.

I illustrate it by using the peanut though it is improper.

Could anyone explain the technical terms?

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎5‎日 at 9:05 AM, Whitefox said:

That process is called scarification:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

It is done to help germination, in particular to seeds that have a hard coat or that are inhibited from germinating until it goes through an animal's digestive tract or suffers some physical damage. For that some seeds are quickly submerged in acid or polished to remove its protection.

I did it a few times with citrus seeds (removing the peel), but never seen it being done to carnivorous plant seeds before.

Konnichiwa!

Dear Whitefox-san,

Thank you very much! “scarification”!…. a bit scary…

Some growers remove Ibicella seed husk in my country.

Jan-san (Dr. Jan Schlauer), who has been a good friend of mine since I joined the cp-listserve in 1994, answered my question.

Regarding the seed coat, this is the commonly used term. The external form and the mechanical properties of the seed are defined by the outer layer that is called testa. Additionally the embryo is included in the inner (protective) layer that is called tegmen and is a thin membranous peel in Nepenthes. Other seeds have endosperm that additionally surrounds the embryo, but in Nepenthes the endosperm is not well developed or lacking whatsoever.

Kind regards from the Far East

Konnichiwa!

40651794171_422f113456_o.jpg

I took the photo on March 06 in 2018.

After I took the above photo, I sowed these seeds. It seems the old seedlings have the strength to push through their seed husk.

I took the following photos on April 12 in 2018.

39600467570_7925b77101_o.jpg

The germination from 5 years old Nepenthes eymae seeds (stored for 5 years in refrigerator)

41366992492_4869e377b6_o.jpg

The germination from 5 years old Nepenthes eymae seeds (stored for 5 years in refrigerator)

41368000212_11ce733f42_o.jpg

Though I don't understand the conditions for the appropriate storage of the Nepenthes seeds, it seems viability among Nepenthes seeds is a lot longer than what we may think and have/may read, as N_CloudySkies-san said on TF (page 4).

Edited by PofW_Feathers
  • Like 1

Update 05

I took the photos on April 12 in 2018.

41374612102_6e036af679_b.jpg

41417178881_368f0ba656_o.jpg

27545695098_2690c89d6b_o.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update 06

I took the photos on May 16 in 2018.

28277923428_8c0ef10887_o.jpg

42103678682_261df1233d_o.jpg

42150546821_28b6986ece_o.jpg

27279478177_89afaefd24_o.jpg

28277923258_ba388aab3b_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How to remove Nepenthes seed husk (testa) in the most elemental fashion way.

Konnichiwa!

I have not yet obtained any USB camera for my microscope. I have been notorious for being clumsy since I was a child. In fact I have never met any person, who is clumsier than me. They used to say mumble such as "You have two left hands!" "Your fingers are all thumbs!". They call me all sorts of names under the sun. I have to admit, they, all people around me, are cleaver with their fingers.

The stereoscopic microscope of mine is not trinocular, but a binocular one. A mobile phone was attached to the left eyepiece(ocular lens). Consequently I was looking the objects through the right eyepiece with my left eye. Thus the operation was a clumsiest manual fashion of this clumsy guy. Therefore, the process can be done smarter and speedier by anyone, no matter how clumsy he/she is.

Until someone discloses much better method, please use it as reference, if you are interested in. But then again, the removing Nepenthes seed husk is not a point, the important thing is how to get better germination from old Nepenthes seeds. As I wrote, it is a primitive manner. I believe it is not the only alternative seeding method of preparing for getting seedlings from old Nepenthes seeds or moldy ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu29bZhwLyc&feature=youtu.be

Edited by PofW_Feathers

• 2 years later...

Great experiment and experience sharing.
I found this topic through google, and it refreshed my perception.
I've read from a lot of places that nepenthes seeds don't last long even in the freezer, but I still put some in the freezer 15 months ago, I think I'll try it myself.

Edited by yabbie
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, yabbie said:

Great experiment and experience sharing.
I found this topic through google, and it refreshed my perception.
I've read from a lot of places that nepenthes seeds don't last long even in the freezer, but I still put some in the freezer 15 months ago, I think I'll try it myself.

Dear Yabbie-san,

Konnichiwa!

It should be during a period for me being in deep mourning, but if you haven't sowed the seeds yet.

Please read the Terraforums thread: How old is too old? Terraforums
I haven't mentioned about a certain thing yet. I don't know if it induced germination.

I sometimes stopped posting additional posts to threads when someone appeared that my language skills couldn't correspond to his feelings, or when I felt it unlikely to be useful even if I tried to deny a ridiculous assumption by explaining the temporal sequence (time series).

I avoided writing specific topic when my post was likely to cause further riot or flaming (blowing up). 

The latter was the case for Terraforums. But I answered a question when a Terraforum member sent me a PM. After that I was so busy that I lost contact with him so I don't know for now if he recognized the effect. If he or someone else recognizes its effectiveness, I will post it on the open forums. 

I write tens of thousands of times, but I'm not familiar with Nepenthes. Please make an effort to get the latest information from the experts. I'm ignorant of information, so a much better way may be practicing.
You had better (or should) save some of the seeds. I am keeping many species of Nepenthes seeds (each small amount) in the refrigerator for years rather than for months. I have other things to prioritize, but I might sow them in the same fashion in the future when I don't think it would be overloaded for me.

I wish you success.