Petiolaris Germination Question

Jeff

Hey all,

I have some Petiolaris seedlings starting to sprout and I have some questions I can't seem to find answers to.

My first questions are about transplantation. My seeds have been germinated in a germination dome, on a heating mat, at 100% humidity. Keep in mind my seedlings are extremely tiny, barely visible to the naked eye. Also keep in mind some of the partitions in the dome contain seeds that have not yet germinated (some species have germinated faster than others). At what point do I need to remove the seedlings from the dome and begin acclimation? Better yet, how long can the seedlings be left in the dome with no Ill effects?

My concern is that I have several partitions with seeds that have yet to germinate and I'd also imagine that the seeds that have sprouted will soon have brothers and sisters growing alongside them in their respective partition. I have read that they can/should be removed and transplanted once they sprout, but how long can they stay without removing them from the dome? Will it hurt them to stay there for a while until the others have time to sprout?

My last question is about algae. I have some green slime (for lack of better words) growing in 2 or 3 partitions. I don't think it's mold. Maybe algae, moss??! Anyway, my question is can it kill my seeds? I will forgo uploading pics because I'm sure anyone familiar with germination knows what I'm talking about when I say "green slime".

I usually wait with picking out seedlings until they are at least 1 cm tall, better if there is space 2 cm.

I accept that I will loose late germinating seeds at some point, though generally I carefully pick out the big ones, rest I let grow on which give some seeds a change to germinate.

The holes in the soil generally don't pose a problem.

Slime is probably algae and it can kill your plants, so I would deal with it.

Hello Jeff,

You can move your seedlings in another pot if you keep enough substrate around the roots. To avoid too much stress, it is always better to consider enough space between each seeds during sowing and not putting too many of them in one pot. I agree with Marcel, heat and high RH are ok if you provide enough light.

To me, the biggest challenge with young Pet.sundews is to keep them alive during their first dormancy period when they have only 1 cm in diameter. Good luck ;-)

Kindest regards.

Damien

Hello Jeff,

You can move your seedlings in another pot if you keep enough substrate around the roots. To avoid too much stress, it is always better to consider enough space between each seeds during sowing and not putting too many of them in one pot. I agree with Marcel, heat and high RH are ok if you provide enough light.

To me, the biggest challenge with young Pet.sundews is to keep them alive during their first dormancy period when they have only 1 cm in diameter. Good luck ;-)

Kindest regards.

Damien

Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify... It will be fine for me to just leave my seedlings in the humidity dome with the other seeds until they too have time to germinate and taking the seedlings out of the dome isn't a necessity?!

I would also like to mention these are grown indoors with more than adequate lighting and I will not be giving them dormancy.

Jeff,

You can try not giving them dormancy but they will reduce growth anyway ;-). In my experience, D.paradoxa (and hybrids) is the only species that can grow all year without a true dormancy but other species will require it for an healthy development and a long term conservation (more than 2 years).

Kindest regards.

Damien

Not so much bound by time of year. You will see your plants go into dormancy. In general I keep light and temperature the same but reduce the amount of water so they stand dry for a couple of days and then give a little...seems to work ok.