U. longifolia from seed?

Langy

Hi, all

I have just aquired some fresh Utricularia longifolia seed last weekend, and not being much of a Utric fan, I am wondering on how best to germinate them?

Any/all info greatly welcome...

:wavey:

Langy

Hi Langy,

I got U. longifolia var. longifolia seed from my plant during 2003 summer.

On february 2004 I set a 60% peat and 40% sand pot, sit it in a tray full of water and put seed on the surface. I didn't cover the seed.

I live in the north of Italy and february is a very cold month, so I put the pot in my terrarium where temperature is between 23 and 25 °C and humidity is high. Seed germinated in 6 weeks. I have noticed a very good germination.

At the moment the pot is still in terrarium and leafs are more or less 7-8 cm long, it's time to repot it and change compost.

I'm sure seed can germinate out of the terrarium during spring, I have some spare seed and next spring I'll try.

Hope this help :)

bye bye,

Rita

Hi Langy,

good luck for your pots, I have the same trouble space in my terrarium!

Let me know when you see the first plantlet.

ciao,

Rita

> They germinated that well when they were

> months old?! Thats pretty good;)

I got seed on June 2003 and they germinated in February 2004.

Seven months seed are old for you? Maybe for Utricularia seed?

I really think they are fresh seed! Maybe am i wrong?

Please, let me know your opinion about it.

In any case, they germinated well :)

I have few seeds from June 2003 and soon I'll try to pot it, i will let you know if this very old seed will germinate.

Rita

I have Utricularia longifolia that germinated and started growing this year in a pot of U. calycifida. I haven't had any U. longifolia for more than two years! When I had a greenhouse, I grew these two species, producing seed, next to each other. The U. longifolia plants I now have could only have come from that time. I do enjoy some of the surprises I get when growing plants.

Steve Stewart

Florida, USA