how to water a Pinguicula?

Margot Frj

Hello there,

I am planning to buy a pinguicula, especially Mexican species fascinate me greatly. I’ve seen a lot of different opinions on the forum regarding whether watering the plant on the tray more as other carnivorous plants or from the top as cacti or succulents. So, for tropical pinguiculas, what would the suggestions be?

thanks a lot in advance!

I water all of mine in the tray, reducing the amount in Winter.  If I spill any on the leaves I blot it up with a bit of kitchen towel  (apart from P emarginata which seems to prefer wetter conditions in my greenhouse)

Edited by Gaz

plastic pots for me but they donot have a deep root system and yes water in trays (I use individual trays but that's my choice ) keep just damp in winter

and good luck

Has you may notice from my avatar  that is a ping tina I a plastic (cactus/bulb) bowl

Edited by tatter
double post corrected

My Mexican Pings are mostly in plastic pots although I do have a group of P gracilis in a tiny ceramic bonsai pot and a group of P x tina in a large green soup mug with a handle.

Generally no it doesnt do any harm, a couple of species prefer it wetter all year as Gaz mentioned above but for most there no need to worry too much about underwatering or them drying out occasionally.  Biggest problem you’ll likely get is rotting in winter if theyre kept too wet.  The odd plant may occasionally just disintegrate for no obvious reason so i usually try and keep a few plants of the same type  just in case (theyre easily propagated).

23 hours ago, ham said:

I like to keep mine dry before watering again because so many of my pinguiculas rotted due to overwatering... 

I use the tray method but only fill up the tray after a few days when i allow the medium to dry off alittle.

this is correct and should have mentioned it in my earlier post

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that with less light and less airflow/higher humidity, the ping may be more prone to rotting with wet media. With a lot of light and fair airflow, you can keep them quite wet during their summer phase, and even the succulent winter phase of some don’t mind some wetness if conditions are good.