Margot Frj

Hello!

Greetings to all the community! My name is Margot and I am super new to the world of carnivorous plants... I bought a Venus fly trap two weeks ago as it was dying in the shop I found it... and now I am searching for advice and recommendations! 

Hope to find everything here to make my little Venus (which I named Lord of the Flies, lol) happy again! 

Cheers xo

Welcome to the forum Margot.Good luck with your vft, Sometimes they look as if drying from a)lack of water or 2)watered with tap water instead of rain water

Hello and welcome and as tatter has said shops water their plants with hose pipes generally as they don't a) know as any better or b) don't care as most will be sold before it becomes noticeable on the plant

Thank you for the warnings! I guessed the shop was not treating it the right way... I have had a vtf when I was a child, since then I was very fascinated by carnivorous plants... and I remember it needed distilled water and lots of care. The pot I bought was the one with the plant that looked the most "willing to live"... The others already had a root in the grave... I was not sure I would be able to revive them, as I am not that expert. 

But so far, my little plant is green and growing! (Still didn't place it outside as in Scotland is very windy and as I've just repotted it I am afraid it would fly away if i leave it on my balcony: but I am working on it!) 

Edited by Margot Frj

Actually right now it should stop growing and go to sleep until spring. Try to keep it in a cold place (but not freezing) until then - it's technically possible to keep it in your fridge.

I am keeping it on the windowsill of the coldest yet sunniest window that I’ve got. I’m trying to make the balcony more protected for the plant, so that I can put the whole pot there once finished without worrying about the wind too much! 

(Maybe I am an overprotective owner)