Hello from the south coast

Deansgreenarmy

Hello all,

I have been having the odd read over the last week or so and I would like to join you all please if I may J

General love of all things horticultural, have had a go at some edibles the last few years, do like a tree or two, would like some more moss in my life lol. Have two young nephews and an even smaller niece so have really been enjoying sharing some gardening with them, fly traps were the boys idea the rest I blame on the plants themselves. Have collected a few Sarracenia and a Drosera or two to go with the Dionaea and recently bought some seeds of each to try as well.

So we have some plant stock with some seeds to start and look forward to exploring this group of plants, we want to sow, divide, take leaf cuttings and all the rest of it and hopefully learn something along the way.

To aid us we have eight hands, pots and trays everywhere, a south facing windowsill, a little poly tunnel, a rainwater collection system that needs improving, 200l of Irish moss peat, 100l of perlite and winter to sort ourselves out.

Look forward to growing with you J

Dean

Hi Dean. I started collecting in the summer when the plants were in full swing. Various Sarracenia, VFT,s, one fork leaf binata. As I have run out of room in the poly tunnel I started a small bog garden off, which seems to be doing well. Good luck with the growing mate. Keith.

Welcome to the both of you! I'm sure you'll find this a most absorbing interest, and as I always tell people, these are the best plants to stimulate young minds.

Nigel HC

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Keith said:

Hi Dean. I started collecting in the summer when the plants were in full swing. Various Sarracenia, VFT,s, one fork leaf binata. As I have run out of room in the poly tunnel I started a small bog garden off, which seems to be doing well. Good luck with the growing mate. Keith.

Thanks Keith, bog garden sounds great, might have to do a similar thing come spring time. I think polytunnels are like that, first day a tardis second day a shoebox. I have almost accepted this lol just as long as it's lots of shoeboxes I can change around, often, in winter there's a bit of space to put some sleepy ones out the worst of it. Will get a couple of photos up soon but will keep a look out for bog gardens around here in the meantime :) are there any photos of yours on here? Will have a looky...

12 hours ago, Nigel H-C said:

Welcome to the both of you! I'm sure you'll find this a most absorbing interest, and as I always tell people, these are the best plants to stimulate young minds.

Nigel HC

Thanks Nigel, yes, you didn't help last night lol, four stunners we have been looking at for a while now so can't wait for those to join us here. The kids love them, we have some great new plants to enjoy now and learn about and a new bunch of seeds that won't be putting any carrots on the plate! 

Dean

Soon as I have time Dean I will put some pics up. In between metal detecting, angling, macro photography (learning), keeping my Bongo camper on the road, real ale, wine making, tropical fish, real ale and keeping these CP's alive. Now about to start sowing the first pitcher plant seeds received today from the society members seed bank. Did I mention the real ale? Cheers, Keith.

• 4 weeks later...