LED for my higland terrarium

hello guys, how are you? I  left cultivation of carnivorous plants few years ago cause university, now I want to start again.

I started few weeks ago my project for Highland terrarium, and I want to switch from T5 bulb to LED.

well m terrarium is 70cm length 61cm height 40 depth, so 168L terrarium.

now my question is, which LED I have to use for light up my terrarium? LED is still better than T5 bulbs? can you help me to create a good LED plan?

thank you for the attention. :-)

3 hours ago, Deltatango301 said:

large.IMG_1555.JPG.c45e6ba5185b1dd9f433fd55cdc77ee7.JPGI bought my led strip light here cheap and they r  pushing my seeds up on the windowsill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272470978065

it can be ok with Highland neps and heli? 

I really want to do something like Vince81 in his amazing terrarium, but i think im not be able to, so I would buy something that is already composed.

I found this LED on a Swedish site, unfortunately they don't ship internationally. (http://www.lillafiskaregatanstradgardsbutik.se/Konsument/ODLING/Odlingstillbehor,_krukor_mm/Vaxtbelysning/Vaxtbelysning,_LED-ramp_15W_Starter?id=36-5576 )

LED is still better than T5 bulbs?

I have yet to see plants which can be grown solely under LEDs or T5 :). HPS are still a solid value when it comes to growing indoor plants for instance.

I used to grow my Heliamphora under the same kind of spotlight as Harro.

If you plan to learn and make your own setup, maybe that thread of Naoki could be helpful :

1 hour ago, Vince81 said:

thanks Vince for your help, it is very useful thread but at the same time very complex for me to create an implant like that.

I really haven't any experience with this things so I was to learn something about that. 

so i would show you some pics of my terrarium to better understand; as you can see there are still the old neon attacks.

2i7bak7.jpg

1zmceix.jpg

can I do something like that with my terrarium in your opinion? if I can do, which led and driver I could buy?

im very glad to receive your own help guys. 

ps: sorry for bad quality of photo.

1 hour ago, Vince81 said:

I have yet to see plants which can be grown solely under LEDs or T5 :). HPS are still a solid value when it comes to growing indoor plants for instance.

I used to grow my Heliamphora under the same kind of spotlight as Harro.

If you plan to learn and make your own setup, maybe that thread of Naoki could be helpful :

Edited by _link_

hello guys!

so I have some news of my project about LED system. 

I learn enough about it, and now im ready to choose how many LED use for my plan, but i would like your opinion too.

I would like to use the LED that I linked before. I have thought to use 20 cool withe, 20 warm withe, 4 led 410-420nm and 4 led 440-450nm= 48 LED total; all LED are 3watt power.

about driver, I want to use 4 drivers running 12 LED from each of them.

This will still produce a large amount of light as at 600mA that will running 100w of power. My question now is: I really need too much energy? in your opinion, can I reduce the number of LED or not? you know, I want to grow Highland and ultrahigland nepenthes and help too.

I remember you that my terrarium is 70cm length 60cm height and 40 depth, so 168 liters total.

thanks for your time.

I want to prefix this with the fact I'm very very very far from an expert, but I've used those LEDS (the 6500k white and the purple grow ones) from that seller and roughly worked it out to 1-2 LEDS per plant when I was growing Drosera but my lights and space were much smaller.  I now use 2x39W  sunblaster tubes and my highlands showed some 'red' on older leaves, but still seem happy enough in my L111cm x W58cm x H39cm space.  Assuming those 2 things - I'd guess 100W of LEDs would be high but acceptable.  If you build it - I'd love to see pictures.

Thanks for your replying yunzi.

Sure I will post pictures of my work, but first I have to study my project better.

I think 100W it's high me too, but I really want understand if it is acceptable, before buying all. :rolleyes:

has anyone else other experience with LED and can help me?

thanks 

Edited by _link_

Remember when talking about LEDs, that wavelengths are important, as well as the yield of the LEDs/driver. 100W of cool white won't produce the same effect as 100W of only red/blue LEDs, as well as having your LEDs focused in a spotlight or all along the length of your terrarium (e.g, 100x1W LED). In short, just keep in mind that talking only about watts is not an absolute way to quantify light efficiency when growing plants.

That being so, I think I would have settled for something around 100W. I'm using 2X55 PL above a 60x45x65 terrarium, without mentioning my highland terrarium where I might have slightly overdone it. So, I believe your plants won't suffer from a lack of light if you put together the 20+20+4+4 LEDs you mentioned earlier.

Also, once finished, you can always adjust the height of your light fixture, or dimmed your LEDs if possible. But if you are not giving them enough light, in the first place, you'll be bound to change it all. Or to regret it :).

Hello Vince, thanks for your replying.

So at least you tell me to increase the number of LED to make sure I do not regret it.

in your opinion red and blue LEDs are essential? can I do something like 28 cool withe and 24 warm withe ? (to make me sure)

thanks for the helpful information too.

:yes:

Edited by _link_

On 30/09/2017 at 8:54 PM, _link_ said:

Hello Vince, thanks for your replying.

So at least you tell me to increase the number of LED to make sure I do not regret it.

in your opinion red and blue LEDs are essential? can I do something like 28 cool withe and 24 warm withe ? (to make me sure)

thanks for the helpful information too.

:yes:

Not increasing, just making sure there are enough: better having slightly more than slightly less light in my view. Red and blue LEDs are not essential, as white LEDs already have those wavelengths. It's just a matter of optimising energy, targeting usefulness, having or not pink colour, etc.

Edited by Vince81
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Vince81 said:

Not increasing, just making sure there are enough: better having slightly more than slightly less light in my view. Red and blue LEDs are not essential, as white LEDs already have those wavelengths. It's just a matter of optimising energy, targeting usefulness, having or not pink colour, etc.

Thanks for replying and your kindness Vince, very helpful!

At least I did the order, LED with heatsinks will arrive next week.

Anyway I want add some optics of different angles on the top of each LED. where I can buy that? and which angles I have to take for my LED setup?

Thanks very much!

• 3 years later...

You should consider getting a purple LED strip light instead. It promotes plant growth way better since this color encourages chlorophyll absorption, photosynthesis, and growth. The perfect LED light color should have more red and blue and smaller amounts of green and yellow. I got the ideal light strips for my plants from ukled.co.uk, and I highly recommend them. They look and feel like excellent quality, and they helped my plants a lot. If you think about getting them, consider the waterproof ones. They hold way better and last longer than usual ones.

Edited by irennorth