Sarracenia peaches or exornata peaches

Blocky71

Sarracenia "Peaches" is listed in the ICPS as alata x purpurea and as such is an exornata, however apparently there was a Sarracenia 'Peaches' listed in the 1980s from Sarracenia Nurseries, which, if either you have is difficult to say.

Hope that helps although I doubt it.

cheers

steve

So we have a possible hat trick with this plant.....

sarracenia peaches

sarracenia exornata peaches

sarracenia peaches and cream 

or could it be a 

sarracenia exornata peaches and cream !

I'm happy with the  'exornata peaches' as it's very obviously a cross with a purpurea.

I'm assuming just a ' sarracenia peaches ' would be a standard looking pitcher with a red/orange colour to the lid, or have the pubescent hair or something?.

cheers blocky

Hi blocky

A Sarracenia alata x purpurea will always be an exornata no matter which alata is crossed with which purpurea, like a flava x purpurea  will always be a Catesbaei. but a cultivar is generally a designated plant and is generally described in the published description, as not to be reproduced by any other means other than division to maintain the individuality of the cultivar, so a designated description and plant type should exist. Even with a description you can get cock ups and multiple plants in circulation S. 'Evendine' being a case in point, leading to many different looking and genetically diverse clones having the same name. Confusing eh.

There is no cultivar S. 'Peaches' registered at the ICPS as far as I can tell, however there do seem to be a lot on sale as cultivars, indicating that there has been some description and type published somewhere, possibly from the 1980s  although what this is, where and exactly when I can't find, if anyone knows please let me know. So whether these are the genuine article 'Peaches', or some derivative of an exornata, or even some legacy of  '"Peaches and Cream", which incidentally I have seen written in single and double quotation marks, but there is no cultivar of that name registered at the ICPS either, I am not sure.

Welcome  to the confusing world of Sarracenia

Cheers

Steve

Certainly is confusing. A quick google came up with the following:

Mike King sells:
H148 Sarracenia x exornata `Peaches and Cream’, Mark Wesson, 2005

RHS has:
Sarracenia × exornata 'Peaches'

insektenfang sells:
ipX26/09 Sarracenia x exornata 'Peaches'

Steve Morley has the best looking plant, see the 'Carnivorous Plant Photofinder'.

I appreciate the time you've taken in replying guys and all the info billynomates.  If the pic you mentioned linuxman is the one with Stephens daughter holding the plant then that was the one that made me want it in my collection.  It was when it turned up, looking not much like Stephen 's and labelled just as peaches that I began to wonder if I'd bought the wrong clone.

It's coloured up now and is looking more like what I expected although still only around half the size of Stephens photo. 

Cheers for your replies

As I understand it, a nursery can register a new cultivar simply by having it in their catalogue/website.

There was also the S x mitchelliana from Sarracenia nurseries called 'Red Lips' which seems to have dropped off the radar. Anyone growing this still? I have a couple knocking around.

Nigel H-C

2 hours ago, Nigel H-C said:

As I understand it, a nursery can register a new cultivar simply by having it in their catalogue/website.

Is this enough to comply with the ICPS condition:

"You must write a description of this plant and have the description (and color photograph) published in a widely circulated journal such as Carnivorous Plant Newsletter or other comparable publications." See website here.

I suppose it could depend upon the definition of "widely circulated".