Pinguicula neo-volcanica

manders

42 minutes ago, ham said:

Very nice pinguiculas, what medium are they grown on? I also noticed the very very short tray for the plants XD. Thanks for posting.

Theyre in a mixture of perlite and growstones (recycled glass), it was just what i had hanging around, they will grow in anything from pure peat to pure perlite and everything in-between.

26 minutes ago, Argo88 said:

Sorry, I didn't know it... it's that I love seedgrown plants and surprises from them;-)

I would like to grow some from seed as well, but i need a different clone to do it, i dont want to make a hybrid with one of my other pings.

1 hour ago, Vince81 said:

Nice tray !

Have you ever tried to pollinate them ? I know they wouldn't pollinate themselves, however, I can't recall Pinguicula being allogamous, but I don't have anything to support that claim.

I had these for 35 years and never had seeds off them, although ive only tried pollinating a couple of times.  I think its generally accepted that most mexicans cant be self pollinated.

• 2 months later...
On 16/09/2017 at 8:00 PM, manders said:

I had these for 35 years and never had seeds off them, although ive only tried pollinating a couple of times.  I think its generally accepted that most mexicans cant be self pollinated.

I've tried to self-pollinate a P. hemiepiphytica in late September to investigate a bit this matter.

The 8th of October, it looked like it worked as the fruit began to form and swell. The flower stalk also straightened:

37789005164_12a69509f0_b.jpg

38448930126_2ff6c5025c_b.jpg

I checked up on it today, and here is the result:

37788964154_6408a63243_b.jpg

I'll sow the seeds and see whether they are fertile.

A friend of mine told me that your plant might be a sterile hybrid. Alternatively there is this hypothesis that pollen needs to ripe in a dry environment, and that air humidity in a greenhouse or a terrarium could prevent this maturation process. In my case though, it didn't seem to have been a problem.

1 hour ago, Vince81 said:

I've tried to self-pollinate a P. hemiepiphytica in late September to investigate a bit this matter.

The 8th of October, it looked like it worked as the fruit began to form and swell. The flower stalk also straightened:

37789005164_12a69509f0_b.jpg

38448930126_2ff6c5025c_b.jpg

I checked up on it today, and here is the result:

37788964154_6408a63243_b.jpg

I'll sow the seeds and see whether they are fertile.

A friend of mine told me that your plant might be a sterile hybrid. Alternatively there is this hypothesis that pollen needs to ripe in a dry environment, and that air humidity in a greenhouse or a terrarium could prevent this maturation process. In my case though, it didn't seem to have been a problem.

Nice, I hope there fertile for you.

I have tryed pollenating Pinguicula moranensis to it's self 4 days ago just to see if it can produce fertile seeds, just got to wait and see now.

It will be interesting to see.  Temperature apparently can play a big part, plants kept below 30C are apparently more fertile for example.

I doubt my ‘caudata’ is a hybrid, its a clone thats been around for a very long time originating from Adrian Slacks nursery in the 1970’s.  Long before there was many other species in cultivation.  What seems to happen is very old clones in cultivation tend become sterile.  Possibly due to repeated vegetative propagation.

Edited by manders