Cephalotus follicularis And Hummers Giant

Deltatango301

It is tempting to say that this is because C.follicularis Is an awkward so and so.

I see you have fairly deep water in the trays. If this species has been grown 'drier' and then put into water trays I have seen it fail. I would suggest shallower water and deeper pots. It may not be truly dead. Let it dry out a bit and nurture it along and see if you get any growth at the tip of the rosette.

A lesson from this is to always take a leaf cutting as a backup when you get a new plant and put them in separate trays.

Cephalotus in general do not like sitting in water and enjoy water consistently passing through their roots, like what CephFan has said, i would suggest you try to not let it sit on water and also try not to pour water over the plant as it may cause the plant to rot.

Hi Deltango,

I agree with Ham, I've seen photos of Cephalotus in habitat growing on slopes that have water seeping through them. You could try mimicking this by setting up a wick system, from above into the pot, and then out of the bottom of the pot. I have this set up for Nepenthes northiana and N. campanulata, using strands of 8mm braided nylon cord. I use reverse osmosis water to slow down the clogging of the cord fibres.

7K_PIoWlOm47sp_AyTobOqiTWl4gbfT_YoIwxET0

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vJLek0JesHyxhgpx2

I'd go with root rot.Was it the european hummers?

if so mine did the same end of last year,i left it alone all winter and spring,nothing happened.I was pulling it out to plant another ceph in the pot and found little green shoots about 5mm down,so just chucked the soil back on,now its back with about 5 new growth points.

Crown rot might be caused by boron deficiency. This symptom is apparent in many plant species. Boron is likely to be present in ceramic substrate parts or pots.

So repotting in new substrate migt be a solution. Boron is fixed in plant matter for a long time after it died.

I myself spray them with very, very much diluted Borax. They grow in special ceramic pots or plastic containers sitting in water all the time without any issue.

I came to this solution while goggling for crown rot. If it is a solution and not just luck.

Edited by partisangardener

https://forum.carnivoren.org/forums/topic/37411-cephalotus-mal-in-einem-speziellen-pflanzgefäß/

Thats the thread of my special pots. Sorry it is in German, but in all the English forums photobucket holds my pictures as hostage. Boron is now two years in use.

Edited by partisangardener
double posting