Adiantum peruvianum problems

Karsty

Mine doesn't have scent, i'm surprised the roots rotted, normally adiantum roots are quite capable of growing out of the pot and into the water in a tray, mine are stood in water all year.

Edited by manders

• 1 month later...

Thanks Manders. I can find that limestone is present in Peru by googling "limestone peru", but very, very little info about where it is actually present. Even geological maps don't tell you, they just state the age of the rock and not much more. I've still got some tufa, so tomorrow I'll try moving it onto it.

Wow! That's amazing! It certainly looks like limestone! There is so little info on the web about this species. Thank you for finding that (~8. Mine is so ill that it seems to scream that it needs something totally different, so I'll risk a total change to tufa. I've presently got many Adiantums germinating and growing on my tufa mounds where I'm growing Nepenthes campanulata and northiana! (I'll post some pics)

That's amazing! Thank you Manders 

It actually states that A. peruvianum is found on limestone 5 times! Why don't we know about these things???

How did you find that article?

How does this impact on what we are told about South American cacti, that they prefer acid to neutral conditions? (I found one article saying that Trichocereus needs limestone in its soil, although I'm not sure of the diligence of the author.)

I think it’s time i gave mine some lime...

conditions vary very rapidly depending on the underlying rock, one mountain can be very different to one next to it in, e.g. sandstone and limestone will give totally different conditions, my wife prefers we go up sandstone mountains - no leaches...

Edited by manders

Hi Karsty
According to my ‘bible’ of ferns (Ferns by Jones) most adiantums are calcicoles and it does sound like your original compost was acidic. I just use a normal JI type compost for adiantum and they do fine (unless I forget to water them [emoji3]) no need to grow them on chunks of limestone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes you wonder,.... if you buy an Adiantum, it always seems to be in acidic compost (although I haven't tested them).

As for the chunks of limestone, it is a work of art for me. Any opportunity or excuse to grow things on rocks or wood or bark or..... anything aesthetic, and I grab it. Just finished planting 2 sets of 3 Platycerium bifurcatums in hanging half-coconut shells.

I've always imagined Adiantums naturally growing on humus.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Niki said:

This thread is great! I’m searching for either A. Peruvianum and/or A. Macrophyllum, now if I ever find them I know how to keep them alive! Where did you find yours? 

Hi Niki and Welcome 

Isn't it great when you find out just the right information?!

I got my peruvianum from Perfect Plants, but they're not selling them now. I also looked for trapeziforme, but couldn't find it. I've now got 2 peruvianums which are seeming to come back to life. They are both now planted in oak leafmould and tufa limestone. Maybe once they've grown a bit I could work something out to send you a division?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niki said:

Hi Karsty!

They are impossible to find! Would love a division, I may have some things on my side of interest, we could do a trade!

I'll give you fair warning though, they have suffered a lot and it could take quite a while before I dare divide them :rolleyes:

Hi,

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Niki said:

I’m searching....

2 hours ago, Niki said:

They are impossible to find...

http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/Ferns.html

These may be able to keep you busy for a while, lots of other alternatives if not just like some of them that's all.

Happy growing :)