Sign in to follow this  
chj93

P. grandiflora help required

Hi,

Would anyone know what is happening to these grandifloras?  They are all progressively growing smaller leaves that are long and thin, as opposed to them being a lot broader when I first purchased the plants. The plant in the first image aside from the small leaves looks OK, but the second and third images show what looks like white fuzzy mould growing around the crown, with quite a few leaves browning too. 

I haven't suddenly altered the growing conditions so can't understand these strange growth habits.

They are kept outside in a sunny location (direct sun most of the day - too much?), watered with rain water only, via the tray method.

Thanks.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

19 hours ago, ada said:

i'd say so

Ok thanks. Is mid to late August normal then? Dormancy did cross my mind but I thought it must be too early, perhaps not. I believe last year they didn't start going dormant for about another month from now, with the hibernacula fully formed by early October.

A lot depends on the heat.They go dormant even earlier if it gets too hot and start to grow again in autumn when it cools down sometimes.

My pings are mostly going or gone dormant now but a few are still growing but much more slowly now,getting ready for dormancy.