River water with Sarras.?

Hi there! 

Recently purchased a Sarracenia and it's on a stand on my balcony in order to get maximum sun. Nevertheless, there's a rather pressing issue. I live in Guildford, our tap water is hard, and we're not predicted to get rain until Thursday night. The sarra will probably struggle to last that long, honestly. 

Have given some tap water in very minuscule doses in order to keep it moist but aware it's not advised. 

Was wondering whether taking a bottle down to the river Wey at St Catherine's Hill would be a good idea and getting some quick emergency water there to tide over the Sarra until the rain? 

Thankyou. 

None of the TDS stuff really matters if you only resort to high TDS water in a pinch. Doing so consistently over a longer period of time is what does these plants in as the minerals in the soil pile up and become too much for the plants to handle. Either way, the TDS of the river water could be all over the place, so it might as well be tap water (or your tap water might even come straight from the river).

You could get demineralised water at (nearly) any grocery store real cheap, though.

When I was at risk of running out of rainwater earlier this year I got two 2.5 l bottles of de-ionised water from Tesco for £1.15 each (it's in the car care isle). I didn't need it in the end so just have it in the shed as a back-up. You should be able to get de-ionised water in most supermarkets/petrol stations (it's the stuff you use to top up car batteries and also in steam irons).

Edited by Bluedog0628

14 minutes ago, Alexis said:

You should be able to look up the chemical makeup of your local river on your water company's website.

It's the River Wey in Guildford, a place which is under the Thames Water company; this means that googling it just turns up the River Thames and not the river Wey, who's google results are all about boat trips etc. 

Thanks but I meant the River, not the tap water; how would you check the River Wey in Guildford's suitability? Lol. Honestly only used the tap water once just to moisten the soil and enable the plant to survive the last weekend and generate some digestive enzymes. It's not something that's done regularly. Our tap water is horrible in Guildford. 

United Utilities gives me the analysis of my local river if I put in the postcode on their site. I would have thought Thames would have the same thing somewhere on their site.

But all water is hard in the south east because of the bedrock, so I don't see the river being any different.