Suggestions for Outdoor CP's in Cork, Ireland.

Hi group,

Could any members suggest a list of CP's that would be suitable to grow year round outdoors in Cork, Ireland.

Just a brief introduction to myself.  I am South African Expat now living in Passage West, Cork.  I have grown CP's on and off since my teens, but I have concentrated mostly on Orchids. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards 

Craig Gibbon 

Hi Craig,

I live in deepest West Cork, and have had Dionaea, Saracenia purpurea, Darlingtonia californica, Drosera capensis, Drosera binata, and all the native carnivores all growing outside for many years.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

Hi Craig

To get things started are you talking about in a greenhouse or out in the elements? 

Cheers blocky, oh and welcome! 

Thanks Blocky, basically outdoors as my Garden is too small, shoebox size, for a greenhouse. 

9 hours ago, Richard Bunn said:

Hello and welcome to Cork!!!! You're welcome to visit me anytime. I'm near Killeagh so you'll need to catch the ferry across to Cobh and keep driving to the east of the county.

Thank you Richard! Will definitely make plan to come and see, you aren't too far from here!!

9 hours ago, Trev said:

Hi Craig,

I live in deepest West Cork, and have had Dionaea, Saracenia purpurea, Darlingtonia californica, Drosera capensis, Drosera binata, and all the native carnivores all growing outside for many years.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you Trev! But you guys have your own Climatic Zone in the deep West!

A lot of my plants are grown outside Craig, I'm in Kent but our climates don't vary that much by looks of it..  I have a small unit I keep my fav plants in but like you, have a small garden that would be dominated by any kind of greenhouse.

The weather is my biggest enemy, wind and rain do more damage than anything else. Nearly all my plants have seen down to minus 6 and been frosted/frozen over in winter and still emerged fine in the spring. Not that I would condone this, the more protection you can offer the better they will look. 

If you could rig up a temporary cover for the winter it will not only protect the plants but they'll usually come out of dormancy earlier too so giving you a longer season to enjoy them grow. 

Personally I would try and stick to low growing plants unless you're prepared to stake each pitcher, its very disheartening to find your collection all lying flat after a storm. 

Some plants/clones do better than others for me, especially with dionaea, I haven't figured why so far except maybe genetics. 

Cheers blocky

On 8/8/2017 at 11:03 PM, Richard Bunn said:

Hello and welcome to Cork!!!! You're welcome to visit me anytime. I'm near Killeagh so you'll need to catch the ferry across to Cobh and keep driving to the east of the county.

Richard, by the way, I see you are a member of Botanic Network Group Ireland on Facebook.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:59 AM, Richard Bunn said:

Well as I said, you're welcome to visit. The spring plants are just starting to show signs of going past their best but they still look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely make a plan Richard. Just not as mobile as I would like, one car between my wife and myself!

• Like 1