Repotting with sphagnum moss and ready mixed carnivorous plant compost.

bigphil1984

Yup, looks like the normal one mass produced in China. Although the Temp isn't a worth while feature.

You get some great deals that has the TDS pen and pH pen in a combo, if you really want to know exactly whats going on in the water you're using.

Used those pens daily together with a Refractometer while I was still running Marine tanks and mixing up salt water batches. The expensive units were mounted on the tanks for 24/7 surveillance.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, bigphil1984 said:

I might just try some, see what happens and keep you all updated emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

In my limited experience I've found the moss grows better if sitting on 1-2cm or so of peat or compost. I've got loads growing in my darlingtonia troughs and they're all set up this way.

In my limited experience I've found the moss grows better if sitting on 1-2cm or so of peat or compost. I've got loads growing in my darlingtonia troughs and they're all set up this way.
Hi, Just had this delivered real fresh live sphagnum![emoji38] Do I just sit it on top of soil or do I have to bury parts of it slightly? And do I only use the green parts or is brownish coloured stuff ok to use too?99cd1f383739d084cf9f2fe120c7c260.jpg64f2e3431d1afebe3e85586cda24af93.jpg

I have bought this same gardman sphagnum moss and tried it out. After about half a year i had 3 tiny sphagnum heads growing. So it is possible!
The problem is that other mosses started to grow on the sphagnum as well and those quickly took over. As of now, a year after the experiment I have no live sphagnum moss left from this bag. I just used what was left as a potting mix.

I have bought this same gardman sphagnum moss and tried it out. After about half a year i had 3 tiny sphagnum heads growing. So it is possible!
The problem is that other mosses started to grow on the sphagnum as well and those quickly took over. As of now, a year after the experiment I have no live sphagnum moss left from this bag. I just used what was left as a potting mix.
I'm just using what was left as potting Wix too. Gonna try grow it from this new fresh live stuff I've got lol

Looking at the bag you got, I'd say place it so that the green live parts are at the top, with the brown at the bottom. Also, as @linuxman said, first take a 2cm thick layer of Sphagnum peat and line the bottom with it, and lay the live moss on top of it. Keep it all quite damp and give it a bit of air circulation while still keeping high as possible humidity.

My starter moss has only been growing for about 3 weeks now, and so far it's at least still alive and a few small heads have grown a bit, the dried long fibre Sphagnum moss I bought to place it on seems to have a few live pieces too, but will only be confirmed in a month or two if new growth sprouts from the parts that seem to have gone the same shade of green as the live moss on top of it.

I tried mine in full sun for a week, but the color faded out a bit. I've since put it in the shade of a tree fern and it only gets afternoon sun now, and the green color has come back and is quite dark in places.

Mine is in a round transparent container with a clip-on lid, which I drilled 4 x 4mm holes into the lid for air exchange. Might still drill some holes into the middle sides of the container for cool air to be drawn into it. Will just have to see how it affects the overall humidity and how the Sphagnum reacts to the changes.

17 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Looking at the bag you got, I'd say place it so that the green live parts are at the top, with the brown at the bottom. Also, as @linuxman said, first take a 2cm thick layer of Sphagnum peat and line the bottom with it, and lay the live moss on top of it. Keep it all quite damp and give it a bit of air circulation while still keeping high as possible humidity.

M

What he said :yes: Mine grow outside no problem as well. Certainly had plenty of water recently.

Edited by linuxman
additional info

I regularly spray mine from the top with distilled water, and maintain about a 2.5mm layer of water in the bottom.

I also added some Orchid fertilizer, the packet is in powder form so I just sprinkled a few pinches (probably a milligram or two worth) evenly over the whole surface, then sprayed water over everything. It is an experiment at this stage as the only moss I have grown previously was Java moss in my planted fish tanks.

Edited by JuanP

3 hours ago, linuxman said:

Not to mention that way the bottom parts of the moss don't rot. The rotting doesn't really affect the growth of the moss (it's what happens in nature as well), the smell of sulfur is just not very nice.

Not to mention that way the bottom parts of the moss don't rot. The rotting doesn't really affect the growth of the moss (it's what happens in nature as well), the smell of sulfur is just not very nice.
I noticed the sphagnum got a wierd smell too. Very earthy smell!

Just be careful about what you fertilize with, as some may be too strong as they are meant for normal terrestrial plants in garden soil.

I have read alot on here about people using fertilizer meant for Orchids on their Sphagnum moss and some of the Drosera like D. regia that likes a feeding at times.

Maybe try yours at max 1/8th strength of recommend on the instructions, to start with and monitor it's effects closely. If the moss looks off, flush it immediately with clean water.

29 minutes ago, carambola said:

Damn!

I'm also doing an experiment using moss I found growing in the garden, extremely fine strands, looks like Java moss that grows submerged.

And for the life of me I could not figure out the pungent smell! :shock:

Barebottom container, now I know to add a layer of peat below it, will do it right now. :rolleyes:

Just be careful about what you fertilize with, as some may be too strong as they are meant for normal terrestrial plants in garden soil.
I have read alot on here about people using fertilizer meant for Orchids on their Sphagnum moss and some of the Drosera like D. regia that likes a feeding at times.
Maybe try yours at max 1/8th strength of recommend on the instructions, to start with and monitor it's effects closely. If the moss looks off, flush it immediately with clean water.
Thanks JuanP, I'll give it a try when I get some, I might even try the orchid one [emoji6]

Hi everyone, I just ordered some nice sphagnum moss. I hope it looks as good as the picture! If you repot can you fill the pot just over half way with compost, then just top it off with the sphagnum, will it grow? And how would you store the sphagnum to keep it fresh after opening? Thanks for your time peeps [emoji6]96e2a03bfbae7c7486ba399aab73413c.jpg

Hey, there's really no great mystery to growing sphagnum.
It just needs reasonable to full light, and to be standing in rainwater.
I would NEVER fertiliser it.
Temperature is not important, it just grows faster and dries out quicker if it is warmer.

IF YOU WANT great fresh Sphagnum, buy it from urprettysmart from ebay.co.uk . It is all live and I have had 2 or 3 species in the mix.

Karsty.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, I think so

I'm so happy. If you and I are right, it's starting to grow quick lol. Been monitoring it everyday and spraying with rainwater. I've also been taking the lid off through the day and putting it back on at night. [emoji38]