D. regia black leave tips

Koen C.

For all the people who grow D. regia, did anyone have this problem before? I have a D. regia for about 3 years, in which time it has grown more or less to adult size. In winter it's forced on a windowsill and doesn't like it there but in spring and summer it takes off outside in full sun. The left one in the picture is the original plant, and I hoped it would flower this year but it doesn't seem super happy when I look closer. The tips of the newer leaves quickly go black or curl inwards a bit (not like the curling around prey). The pot with two plants on the right doesn't really have this. 

Does anyone know if it's a matter of too high nutrients? I don't own a TDS meter, the peat they are in isn't the best quality though. I don't dare repotting them in full summer. Or are they too exposed to wind and rain? Or is it some kind of bugs affecting the plant? I do notice the seeping water is brownish in both pots, maybe the peat breaks down already, but I'd be surprised, they were repotted last year. Also most people say that this species is one of the most nutrient tolerant Drosera's and my other plants stand in the same peat. 

Or maybe does the fern affect the plant? In winter this fern grows quite a bit but when it goes outside in full sun, it dies back again.

DSC_0467DSC_0471DSC_0470

Hi Koen, my regia is smaller than yours and has same symptom: black tips and very few dew on the leaves. I think that the cause, at least in my case, is the heavy heat wave (the fifth and haviest). 

Edit: i grow mine in full sun, with no standing water.

Edited by picol
  • Like 1

Hmm thanks for the answers. Tips on how to prevent this or provide better conditions outside are still welcome. I don't have a greenhouse so that's not an option yet :) I'd love to see a bit more dew again and healthy leave tips.

Mine are in full sun and most of the time in standing water as I think the pots used to dry out too quickly.  

I may try one pot in half shade next year during the hot summer periods

I think it's just heat and low humidity.  I keep mine in the trays in water. The ones in the middle of other plants grow long unblackened leaves. Ones by themselves and so more exposed do this. They're an impressive but messy plant! Read that in the wild they grow in long grasses which maybe explains why but who wants a pot full of grass? If you want to prevent it try surrounding them with a few other CPs.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, I'll consider it. I put them in long pots especially for that purpuse, and the roots aren't really growing wide, but like you say, the roots reach the bottom of the pot pretty easily. I might look for bigger ones. Actually I just realize that you can't see the whole pot, so here is a picture

DSC_0411

This pictures is from spring, you can see how the plants look different after a low-light winter. Longer leaves but not really healthy.

Edited by Koen C.

• 6 months later...

Im also growing mine in tall pots in the windowsill. I used to have black tips too and wasn't sure what was wrong. I have moved them from a north to a south facing window and I started to water them twice a week with cold rainwater. It took them about a year, but to my surprise they now start to look really good. 

I used to think regia was sensitive to high temperatures, now i'm not so sure. Mine spent last summer getting baked in a south facing conservatory where it gets full sun all day, it's coming back into full growth now we're getting some sunny days (even if it is freezing outside).  Conventional wisdom also suggests regia likes a drier soil than other Drosera - I disagree, mine is very thirsty and stands in water permanently through the summer. For sure i agree that a large, tall pot is a necessity the roots are really long, in a fairly open potting mix with plenty of perlite.