FRAUD

ada

How exactly are we leaving you all open to be scammed? That is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in this thread so far :D

The complaint is there, plain as the nose on your face. All that isn't there is the  bickering. How that is supposed to protect anyone I will never know. 

If you check back there has NEVER been a complaint about this person other than someone complaining he didn't get his ants with a quite unbelievable story about boxes being sent to the a public library with no name and to the wrong county!  

The original poster in that thread was worried about an offer possibly  being too good to be true, so the original post was about a good deal as far as it looks. Ada offered to check it out, he doesn't say if he actually did or not. If you don't believe it, check the post, it's a fact. 

I have been around the CP scene for almost 30 years and I don't remember any complaints about Eco Verdi or Alfred Nimmo. Not saying there weren't any, I just don't remember any and there are none on this forum until this case. 

Put yourself in his shoes, how would you feel if someone with a grudge to bear, came on here threatening to post your bank details as well as posting your address and offering money for vigilantes to go round to your house along with unproven complaints about theft and fraud. You would be horrified if admin allowed it without proof.  I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a case of freedom of speech then. You should feel glad that the Admin here won't allow that to happen. All they would allow would be a warning about a possible problem. That is exactly what you have got with this case. A warning to avoid the seller.

I'm sorry but without evidence of fraud, this particular case is going nowhere and you are just continually  flogging a dead horse.

• Like 1

So again we just have confusion and you are implying the complainent may be the liar.  So now we dont trust either of these folks.

Any way, not really interested in your ranting replies.  Just not convinced shutting the thread down completely was appropriate.

is this why most people are now on facebook and dont bother with this forum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CPUK is now run by CPS. Looks like they will inflict much more moderation that Andy did ever.

You have more moderators than members and all I see is a slow dying forum and it has been dying for years. Now the CPS will ensure it keeps going in that direction .

However,  nothing personal but it is quite ironic that Sheila is global moderator here now as she abondoned CPUK forum  when Aidan and all his cronies moved to his doomed to fail forum as it happened...

Freedom of speech, hey :yes:

• Like 1

Are you kidding? Andy would have locked that thread before Richard! He was the epitome of no-nonsense. 

It's nothing to do with free speech. It had descended into a fight and people's mates were joining to pile in. That hardly reflects well on any of us or the CPS.

Les  and i had a private pm over his worries about this man.

i did go round to the address he gave me,which is not the one that was posted as a photo on here.

I have checked him and he was convicted of fraud in 2007,i will look for the article and post it on here when i find it,unless that is against forum rules now.

Its a good job some of us have the guts to say what we feel and give a bit of balance to a increasingly one sided forum.

Soon you will only have the YES people left,will the owners be happy then?

11 hours ago, bigphil1984 said:

Coz people on facebook like to rant s**t

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

This is complete nonsense, nearly all the experts are on the facebook groups and mostly NOT on here anymore.  Especially for nepenthes, but also for pinguicula etc, probably also for sarras but i dont follow the sarra groups.  Fraudsters don't last long on there either and very rapidly get exposed.  Most of the groups are well run.

Sheila is correct here in saying that there were too many pitchforks for a distinct lack of hay. Especially posting someone's address details (no matter if it's the address of a con artist or of a random person) and essentially telling people to go out there and knock out whoever happens to open the door is not a good thing, has nothing to do with freedom of speech and as it is inciting violence, I'm pretty sure it's also illegal in most countries. Removing the offending posts was the right thing to do, locking the thread, not sure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sheila said:

The forum belongs to the CPS now. Richard is the admin and has done exactly the right thing.

The forum is to discuss plants, it is not for a mud slinging match, no matter how much one or two people clearly would like it to be. If a crime has been committed the warning has been posted for all to see that a person who sells plants, has possibly been dishonest  and that is all we need to see. The ins and outs of who was at fault are for the police to deal with, not a kangaroo court here.

I am sorry. I didn.t know it was the CPS forum now as it is clearly marked at the top of the home page CPUK forum. When welcoming new members they very often get greeted with " welcome to CPUK " and Google discribes it as " CPUK forum ".  I stand corrected.

28 minutes ago, dimitar said:

I didn't read offending posts.  Which were the offending posts?

The person complaining posted the full address details of the suspected fraudster and suggested he would pay people to go there (even though 1. the person complaining could be supplying a fake address, 2. the suspected fraudster could have supplied a fake address and 3. the legal issues I mentioned in my previous post), and the rest of the thread was basically a reaction to that. I think that's all that was deleted. Although the poster's story was crazy, it's still somewhat believable because the likelihood of someone coming up with something that crazy out of thin air is nil. The new users who signed up right before posting their only post in that thread were a bit suspicious, though.

I was in two minds with the recent posts.

1. Leave everything as it is and resist the urge to prune series of posts that are simply arguments and rants because that would be 'suppression of free speech'. This would leave me in position of not being able to moderate anything or take any decisions at all because any action would result in complaints about 'over moderation' and the 'forum going downhill and not being like it used to be'.

2. Just delete and posts and try and prevent the forum make it look like it's inhabited by a bunch of arguing chimps in the same manner I've done for years and years.

I went for option 2. If this was the wrong decision and the wrong thing for the forum in 2017, please let me know and I'll just send Richard a message and resign. Because if we can't moderate, there is no point having any moderators. Simple.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alexis said:

2. Just delete and posts and try and prevent the forum make it look like it's inhabited by a bunch of arguing chimps in the same manner I've done for years and years.

Alexis,

I'm not  a chimp  and don't think someone of the other peeps discussing in this thread is a chimp , so you should ban yourself  because u insult the people and you brake the forum rules: 

Forum rule '2]> Personal attacks, rudeness, 'Flame Wars', insults to others, or arguments will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Any member who threatens anyone on the forum, via Private Message, email, or other means will be banned immediately and without notice. '
Edited by dimitar

46 minutes ago, dimitar said:

Alexis,

I'm not  a chimp  and don't think someone of the other peeps discussing in this thread is a chimp , so you should ban yourself  because u insult the people and you brake the forum rules: 

Forum rule '2]> Personal attacks, rudeness, 'Flame Wars', insults to others, or arguments will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Any member who threatens anyone on the forum, via Private Message, email, or other means will be banned immediately and without notice. '

My understanding of this is that it's the threatening behaviour that results in bans not the rudeness. And, anyway Alexis doesn't make any attack on particular persons just a general observation of potential damaging appearance of the forum. I'm all for healthy discussion but I don't want to see mindless trolling here.

• Like 3

I think part of the problem, at least the way i see it, is some of us really don't want to see the nature of the forum changed and the recent attemp to effectively remove the 'talk about anything' part of the forum has made some of us a bit overly sensitive to such issues.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ada said:

Change can be a good thing, but to change something just because you can doesn't mean its a good thing.

If it 'aint broken don't fix it!

Absolutely, being a bit over sensitive, which i probably was being, doesn't mean your wrong.

31 minutes ago, Richard Bunn said:

I've never been told to remove the Talk About Anything part of the forum. Nor have it tried to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard, I used the word 'effectively' removed deliberately.  It was mentioned that we should only talk about plants on the 'talk about anything' area.  Given that there was allready an area that was talk about 'anything plant related' it was either deliberately or through incompetence an attempt to change the nature of that part of the forum. (It wasnt you).

Seemed like a typical middle manager - Dilbert - Pointy haired boss type of decision, very annoying at the time.

Edited by manders
  • Thanks 2

I think its pretty ridiculous that this thread is still going on, Sheila made a pretty valid point that most have just brushed off, that their simply isn’t any evidence. The whole ant story,? This could of all been made up by a couple of internet trolls looking to have some fun, and by god they did find the right place.

This freedom of speech stuff is a joke, you simply cant be posting peoples details online, final.

And the Facebook group thing, they are very well run groups, they would never have allowed this circus to go on so long, as some have suggested.

22 hours ago, dimitar said:

Alexis,

You've made my point for me.

I can't moderate because I get backlash. I can't delete arguments because people complain. I can't enforce the rules of the forum without people getting smart.

I suggest you put yourself forward for the position of Moderator dimitar because a vacancy just opened up.

All I can say as a beginner, is that THIS thread has gotten lots more attention and replies than any of the beginner questions being posted that need some actual help.

I specifically wanted to join a forum, opposed to the 100's of FaceBook groups I'm on, due to the fact that a Forum has structure, with sections for each part of the hobby, all neatly laid out with it's various topics. This makes browsing a breeze, combined with the search function, and you get alot of answers.

FaceBook doesn't have this, and it's like pulling teeth to try find something particular, and usually best to just ask and hope someone with experience answers what you need to know.

Same here though, if you have no idea what you're dealing with, you have no grounds to build a search from, thus you have to ask with a pic or two to try be clear of what you're referring to.

Yet, you sit and watch reply after reply popping up here, and the various questions are left to gather dust and the person who posted left to go on a Google hunt where information can be even more confusing since every Tom Dick and Harry has an opinion there, which completely conflicts with every other.

Cheers,

J.P.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1