danielfurman634

Problem with Sarracenia?

http://imgur.com/a/xFhuL

So I've left these outside for a couple days now and in the UK, we've been getting quite a bit of rain, some sun yesterday and Monday and a majority of the time, clouds. I've been checking on them everyday and my dad said yesterday they aren't looking as well as they did when I bought them, which I think so too. They kinda look slightly pale, with a slight yellow/green colouring rather than bright green with red veins. Is there anything I need to worry about concerning these or is it alright to keep them outside? Also, tomorrow forecasts say there'll be winds of 39 mph so should I bring them in for weather like that? And finally, might these problems be due to the pot not having drainage holes? I don't want to take the whole plant out in case all the liquid from the traps come out, but I also don't want to ruin the roots...  Thanks in advance!

They look fine to me. The pot does need drainage holes, so I would make some. You won't harm the roots. It's not a big deal if you tip the water out, just refill them.

Bear in mind they naturally live in Northern Florida so they won't do great long term outside in this country 

26 minutes ago, Alexis said:

They look fine to me. The pot does need drainage holes, so I would make some. You won't harm the roots. It's not a big deal if you tip the water out, just refill them.

Bear in mind they naturally live in Northern Florida so they won't do great long term outside in this country 

I don't know what you're talking about. They don't need drainage holes (I have yet to see bogs with holes in them), and Sarracenia purpurea (which the bulk of these are clearly at least a hybrid of, the others I guess are psittacina hybrids) grow in the wild all the way up in Canada. The UK has a temperate climate, Sarracenia should be grown outside.

I agree with carambola.

Besides, was the "less green colour" the only problem you noted? Perhaps they were too green because they were receiving less light than the optimal. They are apparently healthy to me.

1 hour ago, jcz said:

I agree with carambola.

Besides, was the "less green colour" the only problem you noted? Perhaps they were too green because they were receiving less light than the optimal. They are apparently healthy to me.

Thanks :) Will update everyone in a couple days on the growth. Also, will the fact that it is in a clay pot affect anything?

15 hours ago, carambola said:

I don't know what you're talking about. They don't need drainage holes (I have yet to see bogs with holes in them), and Sarracenia purpurea (which the bulk of these are clearly at least a hybrid of, the others I guess are psittacina hybrids) grow in the wild all the way up in Canada. The UK has a temperate climate, Sarracenia should be grown outside.

It's a tissue cultured purpurea hybrid by the looks of it and is very likely to be mostly purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii . I doubt that it has any hardy purpurea ssp. purpurea in its ancestry.

The other looks like pure psittacina to me. 

There is every chance not a single gene in those plants is from anything that grows north of the south eastern USA.

It'll probably just survive in this country outside, but be unlikely to thrive as if grown under glass. The UK has a cool temperate climate and some species will be happy outside, but the majority will grow poorly. 

A bog is deep enough for the water table not to overwhelm it without drainage because of evaporation. An ordinary pot without drainage will just become a pot brimming with water.

Purpurea on the right is S. x 'Ewaliana'. It is hybrid from Araflora. Your plant looks good but needs a bit more sun.

Here are photos of my 'Ewaliana'

35314542201_d021605a79_k.jpg

35673775682_1468f9b8cd_k.jpg