General Tips on Keeping Plants Alive?

So I've been an avid carnivorous plant fan for 10 years now, just due to finding them fascinating. I must've owned 30 plants minimum, all of which have died within a year of getting (including VFT, Sarracenia, Drosera Capensis and Aliciae, Nepenthes and a Pinguicula) and I my dad reckons I just love them too much, "overcaring" for them. I recently bought a pot of Sarracenia Psittacina and Purpurea and my dad reckons this time next year, they'll be dead. Would anyone have any tips on growing these plants and future plants? If it helps, I'm from Leicestershire. Here's a list of questions which might help:

Should I put them on a table, rack or in the shed during Winter for Dormancy?

How often should I water them both now and in Dormancy?

What's the best way of collecting rain water and are there any other methods of getting water suitable for them if we have a month without rain? (I think we had one last year and all my plants basically had no water) I've heard things like bottled water or boiled water that's cooled may work.

Will they be alright sitting by a kitchen windowsill during Spring/Summer, essentially in front of the sun most of the day? I think one of the reasons my previous plants died (apart from not giving them enough water) is because I'd grow them in my bedroom, which is the opposite side of where the sun is facing (aka. they never get direct sunlight)

When's the best time of year to repot, and would the carnivorous plant soil from Staunton Harold be suitable for them?

Should I add small amounts of rain water to the Purpurea traps? Apparently they collect rain water but they won't be able to if I grow indoors

How long would you reckon I should wait until I master growing these before I buy (and possibly waste) another plant?

Any other tips?

http://imgur.com/a/HdcU2

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by danielfurman634

The best way to keep your plants alive is to gather as much information about their needs as possible! They don't all have the same needs.

Sarracenia need a lot of water. I saved containers from when i get chinese food, or ice cream, and i use those to collect rain water. Each of my sarracenia is standing in their own container, with their feet in rainwater permanently. They get all the sunshine they can get, I have them outside on the ground. You should be able to keep them outside all year. I also have a waterbutt in my garden to collect rainwater. I never add water to the traps, as they stand in the rain, but they also maintain the water level in the traps themselves.

If you want to buy another carnivorous plant, I would first take a look at the temperature and humidity in your room, to find a plant that has those as its requirements.