Ground growth

Goreneko

Hi!

SOme time ago I read somewhere that some nepenthes need to put the base of their pitcher on the ground so that they can start develop it. And that is the reason why some growers put sphagnum pots around their nepenthes pots.

The problem is that I don't remember where I read that. Can anybody confirm that this really exists and if there is an article with the species that need this to grow pitchers?

Thanks!

It is certainly true at some degree. If your Nepenthes is in high humidity you shouldn't bother. But some tendrils are triggered to develop into a pitcher if they 'touch' the ground. The behaviour depends on the species and the most extreme example I have, is N. sibuyanensis. This plant actually pushes its tendril slightly into the medium and only then it starts to develop. The pitcher emerges from under the moss where it grew almost sa bit underground and gives a nice surprises when it comes out. The tendrils can become really long in search for the moss, much longer then with my other Nepenthes. If I can, I put the tendrils in the pot when they grew next to the pot. I must say though that I grow in low humidity, so maybe this doesn't apply for you. A lot of Nepenthes plants don't need that support (Or local humidity or whatever is the trigger) and can just make pitchers in the air. In my conditions they are ok with low humidity as long as they have enough light.