Shade Tolerant Nepenthes?

Nepenthes Lowii

Hello!

I am thinking of giving Nepenthes another crack after 3 years with no luck in a terrarium with a cheap - o 'grow light'

I am thinking of getting this greenhouse.

Ill adds a small swamp cooler, heater, humidifier, and thermostat to keep everything in check. 

I'll put this little greenhouse on my patio that gets shade all day except late afternoon when the sun is setting. 

What species will do best in shade and lowland temperatures? Note: If it turns out that cooler can cool enough to get Highland temps, then I'll definitely grow highlanders. But, I don;t know if any Highlands will like growing in 90% shade. 

The first that come to mind are N. sibuyanensis, N. bicalcarata, N. Truncata, and N. Vitchii. I might stick a Titan Arum in there for few years and then send it off to someone who can grow it when it's too big to fit ;P

Thank you for your help!

-NL

Bicalcarata wont do well in shade and sibuyanensis is a highlander.  It would be worth getting a lux meter and measuring how much light there actually is.  Humans eyes cant judge light levels.

dont forget mirabilis, impossible to overwater, dont need high temperatures all the time (but love it when they get it), shade tolerant and fast growing in the right conditions.

Just like ampullaria, bicalcarata is endemic to swamp forests of Borneo(Sarawak and Brunei) where its pretty shady. That doesnt mean you wont find a plant growing in the sun, but its unlikely. Sumatrana loves warm and shady places!

Stefan, i first heard this 15 years ago from a commercial nursery in Bangkok and have since tried it myself, of course everyone's read the books that say they like the shade.   Maybe they just tolerate the shade until they get big enough to reach the light, fact is they do seem to grow better in sunlight.  I'm not adverse to growing ampullaria in sunlight either it encourages them to form basal rosettes.  But however strong the light i give them is, and i've had them in full sun, they never colour up as much as they did in Thailand under tropical sun.

This is a good idea for NLowii to get a Lux meter and read the amount of light available where he intends growing them, shade in the tropics can mean 50,000 LUX or more.  Shade to humans can mean 10,000 Lux or less.

Big Difference...

Edited by manders
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, manders said:

Bicalcarata wont do well in shade and sibuyanensis is a highlander.  It would be worth getting a lux meter and measuring how much light there actually is.  Humans eyes cant judge light levels.

dont forget mirabilis, impossible to overwater, dont need high temperatures all the time (but love it when they get it), shade tolerant and fast growing in the right conditions.

When I visited Cal. Carn.  a few days ago they were growing a Sib. in lowland conditions. Also, Winstubas website lists that plant as a lowlander. I think it would like intermediate conditions. :P

11 hours ago, Nepenthes Lowii said:

When I visited Cal. Carn.  a few days ago they were growing a Sib. in lowland conditions. Also, Winstubas website lists that plant as a lowlander. I think it would like intermediate conditions. :P

It grows around 1500m give or take a few hundred metres - its a highlander.  It might tolerate warmer conditions for a while.

• 1 year later...