I have changed from using sand/grit to perlite this year and I just wondered what other folk do with their spent compost when it has perlite in it?

My old compost from re-potting used to go straight on the compost heap and thence on to the garden.  Apart from perlite looking pretty unnatural, I wonder how long it takes to break down? Will it end up in the sea like nurdles?

I have a river at the bottom of the garden and a sea loch only a few hundred yards further on. I realise in the great scale of life I'm not talking about tons of the stuff, the only thing I could think of was to put it in a bucket with water, give it a stir and see how much I could float off the top.  There is nothing like a bit of OCD to exercise the mind ;)

If my old soil is clean (ie, not overcome with weeds or pests) it goes straight back into the bin with the rest of my soil, mixed in and re-used. Why waste it? Anything that us unusable goes on to the compost heap

• Like 1