U. alpina and woodlice

manders

So today i decided to investigat why one pot of U. Alpina was looking decidely reduced, tipped it out and found most of the spagh was rotted and the pot full of woodlice.  Either the woodlice had eaten most of the alpina or the conditions had been too wet and it rotted.  Any similar experiences?

Edited by manders

Sorry to hear about that, nothing like that here I'm happy to say but mine is stood in one of those chrome plated curry serving dishes you see in Indian restaurants so there's not much chance of woodlice invading.  Hope your other alpinas are OK.

That must have been quite a shock!

I would think the wet conditions are to blame for the deterioration and the woodlice are simply a very visual indicator of the rot set in place.

Woodlice are detritivores and feed on dead matter. 

I guess something killed the spaghnum and the woodlice moved in.  Ill check my other potlater, still got live spaghnum in that one.

The little woodlice sound interesting, probably an introduced tropical species, some folks keep them for frog food.