Look what I got through the mail today.

jim3rg

A friend sent it to me as my other flytraps died. Sny advice on caring for this specialy after a journey through the royal mail postal system, would. me. most welcomed.

The pot looks small in relation to the plant, would it be best to wait untill it hybernates before repotting?

I have no distilled water so I boiled the kettle and am just waiting for it to get cold before pouring into the plastic bowl the plant is sitting in.

Cheers1dc7821427ebab6e3d7ca6b5398cfd30.jpg9e74dedccf39d4d2a4c711633a0f767b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, jim3rg said:

I have no distilled water so I boiled the kettle and am just waiting for it to get cold before pouring into the plastic bowl the plant is sitting in.

Boiling the water doesn't get rid of the minerals inside, you have to use distilled, deionised, demineralised, rain or reverse osmotised water. You can buy demineralised water cheaply in your local supermarket, it's the same thing you buy for a flatiron (although you best pick a variety that isn't perfumed if you don't want your plants to smell like eucalyptus). It doesn't hurt if you only water it once or twice with tap water, but if you do it on a regular basis the minerals will build up and the plant won't survive. Are you able to grow it outside?

You can repot at any time of the year as long as you don't damage any roots (and even if you do, the damage has to be pretty bad before the plant succumbs), the plant won't notice.

Nice looking plant!

I wouldn't use boiled water. All boiling it has done is concentrate the dissolved solids even more, rather than remove them. Rainwater is best. Give it loads of direct sunlight.

Thanks for the reply, it was just until I can get out to get some tomorrow. I can also pick up a bigger pot while I am out. I used to get the water from halfords, and it was cheap enough.

37 minutes ago, jim3rg said:

I can also pick up a bigger pot while I am out.

Don't put it in normal compost, you have to use compost for carnivorous plants which is low in nutrients.

18 minutes ago, jim3rg said:

There was a bag of carnivorous plant compost in with the box the label has a box ticked for Trumpet Pitcher, quite a large bag too.

Thats great. Just didnt want you to go along and use gp compost. I got a venus fly trap for fathers day of my 13yr old daughter. Not knowing she re potted it into a nice terracotta pot and added gp compost to top it up.