Bad bicalcarata

Hi my bicalcarata will not really grow properly .. It has not been doing picther for over half a year and leaf tips get black. I have about 27-28 degrees and humidity of 70-80%. Has a truncata and a robcantleyi that grows Really good and making great picthers. Have tried to put heat under my bicalcarata to see if it helps. They get leaf manure every 14 days.d9591720cba8a665bb816286980e9312.jpgdc06c3b8f6a70a6f06e1d5b271ac431c.jpg9195bad3d899f1ae8939f181794d8310.jpg8013a3bf7b129d13d0aa98a97abad7a7.jpgff4175e66637e7568e80c111534b26b3.jpg82e21832346b8116209adeef2afae922.jpg

Sendt fra min EVA-L09 med Tapatalk

Could be one of several things.  Your compost looks a bit heavy, i would check for root rot.  Secondly the temperatures are plenty high enough and so is the humidity.  Bicalcarata grows much faster under full sunlight.  Theres some incorrect information on the net about it preferring shade.

Actually i would be carefull with all of those plants, you have them stood in water with quite dense compost, this might be a bad combination in the long run.

I would suspect the light then.  Mine grew a lot better as soon as it started getting sunlight.  I first heard this from a grower in Bangkok who allready had good light, when he removed the shading it really took off.  Under shade it hardly grew.

• 3 months later...

Very nice indeed to see your N. bicalcarata doing much better. I have mine under strong LED light, with day temps of + 35 C and night 20-25 C. Humidity daytime around 50-60 % and night up to about 85-99%. I have noticed that my bical loves very hot temperatures during the daytime, sometimes exceeding the 40 C.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see the vast improvement. I agree with manders, who has brought up the topic of light for bical on other threads. First those that disagree about this huge plant being a shade dweller need to look at some habitat photos, and there are many. It is not a shade growing plant and will quickly send its single stem to the top of the canopy. It will take shade as a youngster but heads for the sun.  Everyone 's full sun is not equal based on location. Here in gulf coastal Florida they handle full AM to early afternoon sun in late June with no problem once acclimated. These are large plants and this amount of light seems to foster upper pitchers.

I've never had a problem keeping them heavy in pure peat with some quartz soggy wet and sitting in water. When daytime temps are 30 -38 C, nights 25 - 28 C. I don't use relative humidity I use the dewpoint as its actually a much true form to measure how much water is in the air. Bicals thrive with dewpoints in the 23 - 27 C range. Remember I'm using dewpoint because the plants are outside in the open. You can have the relative humidity drop to 50 or 60% at the hottest part of the afternoon but thats not a factual what it feels like reading.

I've mainly grown clone 5 from borneo exotics. A very vigorous clone and some seed varieties from malesiana tropicals were not near as vigorous or light tolerant. Still all respond well to strong light.  In fact most lowlanders  need and respond to better light than is often reported. This includes many amps, rafflesiana, and you want to see some killer black gracilis, give them a suntan and you will also get basal rosette pitchers just like ampullaria.

• Like 2