Why are the leaves on my Nepenthes Ventrata dying?

I have a Nepenthes Ventrata that I bought in Oct '15, which was hanging in a skylight in my kitchen. It's grown significantly since I bought it. The two branches that it had have grown as you can see from the picture. It also has five new branches that are around 12" long.

When I moved it to another room, I noticed that the lower leaves on the two main branches were turning yellow and dying. The right-hand branch on the picture has lost quite a few leaves, and the left-hand branch has quite a few going.

The upper leaves are all healthy, and there are new leaves growing from the ends of the branches.

Anyone any suggestions as to why the leaves are turning yellow and dying? More to the point, what can I do to stop this? I thought about snipping off the two long branches, as that would still leave me with five healthy branches, but it seems a shame where the upper leaves on those two branches are so healthy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

170604NepenthesVentrata.jpg

• Like 1

• Yossu changed the title to Why are the leaves on my Nepenthes Ventrata dying?
3 minutes ago, Tommyr said:

It's pretty normal. Leaves don't last forever. Clip off the yellow leaves if they bother you.

Shame. Leaves (sic) me with a long empty stem down the bottom.

Guess it's time to clip them and propagate new plants form the clippings.

Thanks for the reply.

16 minutes ago, Yossu said:

Shame. Leaves (sic) me with a long empty stem down the bottom.

Guess it's time to clip them and propagate new plants form the clippings.

Thanks for the reply.

Well they are vines after all and this happens with them. You could always take a cutting near the top and start a new plant, it's very easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Tropicat said:

It looks very nice now, shaped like a heart. Can side shoots grow from the parts where it has lost its leaves?

Funnily enough, our son & daughter-in-law had a baby girl two weeks ago, and I did think of tying pink ribbons around the vines to make a large pink heart :wub:. I'm just a softie at heart!

As for the side shoots, there are a couple, but they are higher up, not where the leaves died. That's one reason why I'm reluctant to cut off the long vines, as I would lose those new shoots.

• Like 1