Hampshire CPs at Chelsea Flower Show

indeed, watched Mon to Thurs nothing on carnivorous plants. Thought that a bit odd as Monty has a few in the greenhouse and they get a mention now and then but more that the displays are normally awe inspiring and, from past visit to show are one of, if not the main "wow" "Gasp" points in the main tent. Got too busy and forgot to go back on I-player. Just did this morning and can only say, by Christ what a job, sir(s and ladies)!

Both the CPS and Hampshire put on a corker of a display. Granted the CPS isn't professional but the display there is truly outstanding. Seriously well done to all involved with all aspects. Design, care, build, growth, making the tea and jam butties etc...... really does highlight what a bit of passion, care and interest can create. A display to aspire to..... Might have to hire a baby digger now and go mad out back with some large rocks and redesign.....

As for the Hampshire display, I have to declare a passing interest here as I have been a customer (more than likely will be in future), the background piece was jaw dropping. The sheer amount of variety, trials.. I was also first captured by a Dionaea on TV and then never had the time, money, garden, space until this last few years. No more moving, had a bit of time and purchased some plants after visiting the show and seeing the Hampshire display in the main tent and taking a flyer. 3 years later still going strong. it is nice to not just know but to see the background and provenance as to where the little fellers came from.

regarding outside growth and the points raised in the interview.... there have been and are questions in these forums about 'Can/What can be grown outdoors.......' and Matt makes the point that the outside trials he has are behind the house grown specimens... I am not scientific in any way and what you grow and how you grow is always dependant on your conditions but I grow outside and leave them there. I am in Norn Iron so his outside examples (Hampshire) are a lot ahead of mine! I am only seeing flower stalks and pitcher growth mid May but all the boys and girls are starting to do well as we have just had some nice warm and humid weather. Back to pi##ing down again today.

I know that there is a lot of confusion about these plants (Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, Dionaea), yes they are exotic but this does not mean tropical... USA can hit 90-100 oC where they are naturalised so UK temps are not an issue, well certainly not Norn Iron and I assume not in the South East neither. Winters are not as cold as continental USA but I have seen recent winters of -12 to -19 oC and all is still growing and alive. Treat them as 'normal' plants and simply cut when pitchers are spent, check for pests, cover and leave them to spring. My only real problem is that I get some constant, strong, cold winds that can (and initially) did burn the pitchers and stunt growth. A little lesson learned and some protection installed and all is well.

Cant emphasise enough, great display and work all. Muy bien hecho.

• Like 1

I tried to download the video but I got a message saying 'The video is not available in your country'. Funny how they allow Chelsea in Northern Ireland on the video but not England.

I'm pretty familiar with what Matt does so I don't need to watch it, but it would have been nice.

Edited by David Ahrens

22 minutes ago, David Ahrens said:

I tried to download the video but I got a message saying 'The video is not available in your country'. Funny how they allow Chelsea in Northern Ireland on the video but not England.

I'm pretty familiar with what Matt does so I don't need to watch it, but it would have been nice.

Me too

23 minutes ago, David Ahrens said:

On 5/29/2017 at 6:29 AM, Richard Bunn said:

Hi all

Here's the BBC2 video feature with Matt Soper from Hampshire Carnivorous Plants at the Chelsea Flower Show this year.  I think we can all agree it was excellent.  

Blocked in America. Damn.

1 hour ago, Richard Bunn said:

Try using a VPN client like TunnelBear. Set it to UK.

Thank you Richard but there are some people like me who would say :-

what is a VPN client ? what is a Tunnelbear ? why do we click on START to turn our P.C. Off.

Ian.