Big purps question

Rory

Hello,

I was curious as to how big purpurea's can be. I've put myself on the wishlist for a large form from chipola with Mike King, but how big do the giant forms get?

2 years ago I got a small purpurea from a friend which is bigger than my other 3 purpurea so I was wondering whether this was possibly a larger or giant form of the species.

I've added a picture with a ruler for scale. I don't know whether this is a var. Burkii, as the plant is flowering for the first time this year so I haven't seen an open flower yet. Thanks in advance for any replies[emoji1]

c79bce8862a6b3956c497f2200556456.jpgd7a857baa8d11f823a1e28756e0bb9e3.jpg123e21efc4341cd6a02112061dd65243.jpg

• Like 1

its a big plant alright.  But i think it could also do with more light,it is very green.

I would expect a bit more colour in the plant by now,having grown all those new pitchers.

If plants are a bit short of light this can cause the pitchers to be greener and longer.

ada

• Like 1

Hi Ada, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why it's so green to be honest, as my flava atropurpurea and rubricorpora have coloured up nicely? I guess I'll wait and see how it develops during the rest of the year 

9850544d55faf761ab984eaa6dbd9c48.jpg

Edited by Rory
(Picture was through middle of text)
  • Like 1

Hi, this is my iP20 sarracenia purpurea spp venosa burkii from Nr Sumatra Liberty co Florida. I've had if for years now and it just keeps getting bigger! Think the green colouration for your plant is lack of light . It's in a south facing cold greenhouse and has been down to -13 oC and it coped fine! Picture shows plant on a 2ft x2ft slab!!!! Is growing in a 12 inch pot with peat moss, pearlite and Melcourt fine pine bark! dd304f4e817b15529e28cc9262906cb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My var burkei 'cooks bayou, Fl' plant has done the same sort of thing. They're all getting the same amount of light but it seems to be putting out huge green pitchers with fine red veining. Biggest pitchers I've ever had on a purp! 

large.20170530_205213-2448x1377.jpg.2708a202e674af1bee60d1cb4f7014c6.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, those are all some big purps! I'll see how the plant does next year, to see if it's more red. In any case, I'll be putting some snacks into the pitchers to see whether that helps it to bulk up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

You might find it will start to produce some shorter fatter pitchers later In the season, my integrade purpurea seems to produce Longer early season pitchers then really fat late season pitchers. 

large.20170603_070202-2448x1377.jpg.521218d37210c628b706e02d6958fff6.jpg

This is my intergrade form growing in a 19cm square aquatic pot. I have found growing them closer to the water level seems to promote the longer larger pitchers too.

Regards

Dan

Edited by danthecpman
  • Like 3

They are some fantastic Purpureas. I hope my Sarracenia Purpurea ssp venosa grows to the size of them in a few years (it's about 6/7 inches across at the moment lol)!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to give that a go, cheers.

Very nice purpureas, but I'm the same as Blocky, this is a Guinea pig free zone! Lol.

I'll stick to bloodWorms. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...