What's this, please?

Guy

Hi all

The experienced amongst you must get sick of this question so, apologies.

This Sarracenia came from my local Homebase.  £4.99.  The compost was dry and it looked sad, so it had to be rescued.  What is it please?

Thanks.

Guylarge.58fc60c0d9472_Optimized-20170422_1712442.jpg.807e1d1d16a1b152eed84340cfa0d678.jpg

It is a Sarracenia hybrid. It will always be a Sarracenia hybrid, and it's very dangerous to label something as a named cultivar just because it vaguely looks like one in the right light with one eye closed... Unless you have the details of the plant direct from the grower to prove it is a named plant, you should label it as hybrid.

Saying that,, it's definitely got some Sarracenia purpurea in there, but anything else will only be a guess!

• Like 1

Thanks both

Very interested in how these plants get their names.

My very limited (for the time being!) collection of Sarracenia includes S. Norman Parker and S. Dixie lace.  Who decided they would be called this?  Why can't I call the one in the photo S.caper?  Then split it and sell it on as a named variety.

Don't wish to cause any offence by this post.  But as a beginner I have absolutely no idea where these names come from.

Guy

51 minutes ago, Guy said:

Thanks both

Very interested in how these plants get their names.

My very limited (for the time being!) collection of Sarracenia includes S. Norman Parker and S. Dixie lace.  Who decided they would be called this?  Why can't I call the one in the photo S.caper?  Then split it and sell it on as a named variety.

Don't wish to cause any offence by this post.  But as a beginner I have absolutely no idea where these names come from.

Guy

Try reading this: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3960.html

It explains a bit about how those things work. You have to register a name before you can call it anything.

Thanks Zlotka

The link was incredibly helpful for two reasons.

Firstly because the ICPS is new to me but, looking around the site, it has loads of good information.  This tells you how new I am to keeping CPs!

Secondly because it gives me the beginning of an understanding about plant names.  But help me a bit more, please.  As I understand your link, this is about registering a name with the ICPS.  Which is, of course, how it should be done.

But what's to stop someone choosing a name without registering it with the ICPS?  Looking at the various sites selling CPs I haven't yet found anywhere giving an ICPS registration number.  So how do I, as a beginner, know the plant is true?

Guy

• Like 1

People do just name plants without registering them, just look at vft's. But if you just named an unremarkable random hybrid, it probably wouldn't be terribly popular in the long run and the fact it wasn't a registered name would be picked up on. 

Hi Guy

People do name some of their more promising plants, these names normally being designated in double quotation marks to differentiate them from a registered cultivar, which are formally noted in single quotation marks.

Thus S. "Big floppy top" is a plant which has a working name that can be recognised by other growers, whereas S. 'Big floppy top' would be a Registered cultivar.

One way, but not the only way is to check the plants name r veracity is with the ICPS site to see if it is a properly registered cultivar as here http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php?name=Sarracenia
Or another great resource for learning some plants lineage is John Jerrards deconfusifier as here
It's a bit of a minefield I'm afraid as you will find out the deeper you get into the hobby and not an altogether satisfactory system, but it is the only one we have.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Steve
Edited by billynomates666
Name added

Thanks Steve

My brain hurts now!  So much information in the links.  It's good to know, though, that there is some serious attempt at rigour when naming these plants.

As a total beginner I think I'll keep reading the literature and buy plants on the basis of whether I like how they look.  Incredibly unrigourous and haphazard, but as good a way as any to go forward until I've learned a lot more.

Guy

On 01/05/2017 at 10:31 AM, Guy said:

As a total beginner I think I'll keep reading the literature and buy plants on the basis of whether I like how they look.  Incredibly unrigourous and haphazard, but as good a way as any to go forward until I've learned a lot more.

Guy

Thats exactly how I staggered into it, learning as I went, I go back to pre internet times when the sort of information you can now find in minutes, used to take weeks in libraries and correspondence.

Just continue to enjoy them in whatever way is good for you.

Cheers

Steve