Help needed with choosing seeds

My Carnivorous Plant Society membership stuff has arrived-yippee!!

It seems I am allowed four packets of seeds as part of being a member.  Very generous and very much appreciated-thanks CPS.

Is this the right time to plant seeds?  And what should I get, please.  As a very new beginner it would be good to choose seeds which are almost guaranteed to germinate and grow on.  My plants (all nine of them!) are kept outside, there's no greenhouse.  So the seeds will need to be from outside plants.

Thanks

Guy

Depend on what seed you have. Some need few cold months, others tend to germinate little time after falling from mother plants. But usually this is still good time for sowing.

You could try some of the native species: D rotundifolia, D anglica, D intermedia, P grandiflora and perhaps some of the cold hardy pitcher plants: S purpurea and D california

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Darlingonia, Droseras (anglica, intermedia from cold areas such as the one labelled plain old intermedia or the Canada one or the Pine Barrens New Jersey, rotundifolia, oblanceolata), Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea, Pinguicula grandiflora and vulgaris.  I've likely missed some as I'm tired. LOL

Thanks for the advice.

Seeds for D. californica, D. anglica, D. intermedia, P. grandiflora, P. vulgaris and S. purpurea ssp purpurea now ordered.  Together with the seed germination guide.  I'm sure people on the forum can give me excellent advice on seed germination, but it'll be good to have some printed stuff as well.

This is all getting a bit out of hand!  Today I bought another VFT and another Sarracenia from Homebase.  A few short weeks ago I had one very sad little VFT which had just about made it through the winter.  Now I have 11 plants.  A tiny number compared to the dozens (or even hundreds) kept by most people, but we all have to start somewhere!

Guy

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 26 April 2017 at 1:10 PM, Guy said:

This is all getting a bit out of hand!  Today I bought another VFT and another Sarracenia from Homebase.  A few short weeks ago I had one very sad little VFT which had just about made it through the winter.  Now I have 11 plants.  A tiny number compared to the dozens (or even hundreds) kept by most people, but we all have to start somewhere.

I remember those innocent days. I just had a couple, sitting on my office window. I wasn't getting any more, no siree, this hobby wasn't getting out of hand. I'm trying to work out where I could out a second greenhouse, and if we can afford an extension, as that will give me more windowsills!

(evil manic laughter) we've got you now, like a fly in the jaws of a VFT, there's just no escape!