titankilller1231

Does anyone keep their sarracenia outside?

Ok so it went down to -15C. The pitchers of my S. flava did die off from the cold, but the plant survived. It still had a few green pitchers before the frost. I think for plants in pots unprotected, this may be the lowest temp. I had a few divisions of the S. flava standing underneath a tree, a bit higher than the ground, they were completely unaffected by the cold. They are even starting to form new pitchers at the moment! 

My S. purpureas even did better, they had a bit of brown edges on the pitchers, and turned a bit lighter in colour, but other than that survived well!

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, Harro said:

I`m growing my sarravenias outside in a bog without any protection . Here in the Black Forest/Germany I had temperatures down to - 15°C. At the moment -11 C. I had no losses due to the low temperatures over the years.

31955802ez.jpg

31955803wx.jpg

Now they flower. Part of my bog.

32688824iz.jpg

• Like 2

The RHS are carrying out trials of Sarracenias at Wisley and elsewhere and will publish the 'garden worthiness' of them (https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/trials-awards/plant-trials/current-rhs-plant-trials). I will keep an eye out for the results. They did an indoor one (https://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/TrialReports/Sarracenia 2013-2015.pdf). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the trials info Chimaera. Harro, your plants look well ahead of mine. They did get to -8 but all survived and are starting to push up Flower stalks and pitchers.

Grow quite a lot outdoors as overflowed the greenhouse years ago. Some are in pots, some in the pond margins. Never mulch and gave up on any covers and not lost anything! I think most sarra are hardier than I used to think. Binata always grows back too.  Never have mould or rot, even when plants under water or snow/ice. As mentioned, they are just 2 or 3 weeks behind the greenhouse plants.

I grow quite a few outside some in an old Belfast sink and  some by side of the pond and they all came through this winter just gone without ant protection at all

I don't have a greenhouse, so they are all outside in pots, unprotected. Though the pitchers died off, they came through winter fine. They are producing huge new pitchers now that it is summer. Apparently -15C in winter isnt a problem!