Should I cut this flower stalk?

EricCarnivorous

Hello everybody! it's great to be part of this forum, it's my first post about a doubt with my Cephalotus.

I received a young cephalotus one week ago, the plant adapted quickly to the conditions I gave it, also I repotted it because the small size of the original pot, but the plant looks fine!. Now my question is: Should I cut this flower stalk? I think that this plant is very young to flower, and It is my unique Cephalotus, pollination is not an option for me. I don't know if a flower stalk in cephalotus causes the same effects than a flower in a Dionaea, or how can the plant react if I cut the flower stalk. What would you advise me? Have you had experiences with cephalotus bloom? Thanks for your attention! greetings from Mexico.

Some Pictures:

IMG_6551.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

34 minutes ago, tatter said:

does anybody cut them off in the wild?

Does anyobody can provide at home in cultivation the same soil, water, food, conditions etc. that they grow in the wild?

EricCarnivorous said:

Now my question is: Should I cut this flower stalk? I think that this plant is very young to flower,

I don't know if a flower stalk in cephalotus causes the same effects than a flower in a Dionaea, or how can the plant react if I cut the flower stalk.

I would advice you to cut the flower stalk, because your plant is way too small and the stalk will take almost all energy of the plant.

Even smaller plants than your can flower but in most cases they die...

• Like 3

I found only one small plant like this mentioned in a forum. Was a fast growing seedling and about this size. The owner got the same advice, but tried it and succeeded.

All others I found cut the flower spike. Some tried to use it for propagation. It is with the box method under artificial light surly worth a try.

But Dimitar is certainly an extremely experienced grower, who probably tried this several times and most died so this above case was just luck.

They normally don’t need a different plant for pollination, though you get more and stronger seeds, if you have a different plant in flower.

Edited by partisangardener
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello, I'll post what happened with my Cephalotus for those who have the same doubts that I had. At the end I let my plant bloom.

The flower started to grow in February 2017. Then in May 2017 the flower looked like this:

ibfL81h.jpg

lsQf5ki.jpg

I daily self-pollinated the plant. In July 2017 I got 13 seeds and  planted them newly collected. During August 2017 the main plant was very weak and without signs of growth, after this the main  plant died  superficially because it developed another three points of growth from the same rhizome. Actually in February 2018 the plant look like this:

6dsbamm.jpg

HwsSjtz.jpg

And what happened with the seeds? Actually 3 of 13 have germinated well after aproximately 7 months.

aNVgt0j.jpg

Fortunately the plant survived and some seeds germinated successfully despite being a self pollination. Next time I'll try cross pollination with another cephalotus that I bought.

Hope you like the post!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...