U. Reniformis, getting it to flower

lesthegringo

Hi Les,

I grow mine in an unheated greenhouse where they die back to stolons/tubers over winter. They may require that to flower well?

When the leaves on mine turn brown and shrivel back, I take it out the water tray and let it dry out completely, clipping off the brown leaves. After a few months, when the weather starts to improve very slightly, the flower racemes are the first things to appear out of the sphagnum around April.

At that point, I start to resume watering.

I believe they need to be of a certain age to start flowering but for me, it was the dry dormancy that really started to get it flowering every year.

I'll second that - mine is also in a nepenthes greenhouse, so around 14oC minimum

It also dies back completely in winter and I keep it just moist, certainly not regularly watered, but not totally dry either (I never keep it in a tray, and it is in the same LFS/bark mix I use for the nepenthes)

It has flowered each spring for the last 2 years  

On 16/12/2016 at 6:54 PM, Ali Baba said:

it didn't start flowering until it was very pot bound in a largeish pot.

Yes I have heard this before and may be an important trigger factor - mine is (extremely) pot bound in a large, relatively shallow 'bulb bowl' style dish (30cm round). This seems to have allowed for very thick, white tuberous stolons underground.

Mine have plenty of room for the roots and the bottom of the greenhouse gets down to just below 10 deg C in winter; growth definitely stopped during August and September. Got some lovely leaves and I can see lots of the white thick roots spreading around, but they don't have anything to limit them. May have to try putting some in a smaller pot to see what happens 

Les