Pinguicula Tina

Picavorus

My plants have had frost and no bad effects , I have moved them inside now onto a windowsill as I don't want to push my luck. They saw  a far bit of less than 10c weather and are pushing up flowers , pretty tough but not sure of the limits of Mexican pings, but mine suffer on rare 30c days in the summer as they are in a propagator and if I know its going to get really hot I take them out and place in a cooler shadier position

Edited by corky

Thanks, I'll keep it inside this winter instead of putting it out in the greenhouse.  Would it be best on a window ledge or in the terrarium with my Neps?  It's currently on a windowledge, but was puzzled as it looks to be forming a bud like the temperate ones

Yes the windowsill is good and its a Mexican ping so should form tighter smaller leaves, pretty sure the winter Rosette is non carnivorous, it will need the shorter daylight hours on your windowsill to perform in a natural way and go into its winter stage. 

Edited by corky

I've never had much success with keeping Pings on windowsills indoors, in our house the atmosphere is just too dry so I would say it would do better in the terrarium.  Despite previous poor results we did put one of my P. tinas on our East facing kitchen windowsill this summer, to catch fungus gnats coming out of an orchid pot, it caught plenty but after a couple of months it obviously wasn't thriving so now it's back in the greenhouse and doing well again.  Mine do form smaller leaves during winter, but it's not exactly a tight rosette like some of the smaller Pings, and yes some are forming buds now so I wouldn't be worrying about that.  Just realised you might have meant hibernaculum not flower bud, oops :laugh: no P. tina isn't doing that.

All of my Mexican Pings overwinter on the rear staging in the greenhouse, in fact that's where they live all year. I have some heat on and try to keep it at about 7-8C min, it's insulated of course so the heating isn't on full time thankfully. I also have fans on 24/7 which are especially useful on those hot days Corky mentioned.

Thanks, it looks to have formed it's winter stage.  I'll try it on the kitchen windowledge, for shorter daylight hours as I have the lighting for my Nepenthes 12hr on/12hr off.  If it starts looking like it needs to go into the terrarium I can soon pop it in there