Cephs Sudden Death Syndrome ? and General Qu

Dr. GreenThumb

Hey Guys, just a question, i recently brought a Ceph back from the Uk with me and so far since Jan its been growing great, ill try and get a photo tomorrow for you guys. I was reading the other week about Cephs and Sudden Death, and it got me a little worried, is it quite common or is it just hyped information? When i brought it over i did a lazy repot and just sat it in a new pot with very well draining media, but the the old media is still their and wasn't so free draining as is normal when getting from garden centers. Im thinking maybe to repot it and divide it up a little where possible, when also would be the best time to do that?

Thanks,

Alex

They're best left alone as much as possible as they don't always react well to being repotted and can 'sulk' for a while. As you've already repotted once I think I'd leave it. If you feel you must then the dormant period is ideal, make sure to take cuttings in case the worst happens

The potting was quite a while ago (January). I don’t think it much necessary, but late winter is a good time for repotting.

Mine will be taken out of the ground without bothering if I have a good reason for it, mostly they don’t even sulk. Most just grow on. Some stay really wet in plastic pots some have in my special pots just moist conditions.

thanks guys for the reply, ill leave it for now, it seems to be doing very well in its pot. Maybe ill try and take a few cutting for now. Any one know much about the Sudden Death the are known for? thats what was worrying me the most.

Sudden death is a fungal infection (term maybe not right in English) which grows very fast. In most cases not even a healthy looking leaf taken from an infected plant did  survive. It takes from the first sign (wilting of green leaf or trap) to final stage maybe even in a few days. Infection through roots clogs the sap flow. Look for wilting disease.

• Like 1

What I read about some use Fungicides as prophylactic measure  None can heal but maybe prohibit Infection.

Quarantine for new plants in your collection. Eradication of all possible infected soil or plants is always good..

I establish plants together with Cephalotus which depend on Mycorrhiza relationship. Erica likes the same soil and is always mycorrhizal.   The best way to keep away a pest fungus is to establish a good one which fights for his habitat.

I don’t know if it will work on the long term with Cephalotus, because I have them only for a relative short time. It works certainly for a lot of other plants I keep for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, partisangardener said:

Sudden death is a fungal infection (term maybe not right in English) which grows very fast. 

Do you think SDS could be related to one of these?:

phytophtora

pythium

Some grower here in Italy use trichoderma with good result. I'm asking more than anything else because i've never been very lucky with thi genus.

• 1 month later...

Oh thats pretty interesting about the Mycorrhiza I in fact have some of this in a sachet but haven't used it yet, it says its a beneficial fungus. So that should help keep harmful funguses down? any info if this works well with VFTs, Sundews and Neps? looks like ill be giving them a dose of this tomorrow, well at least the Ceph