Where is everyone?

Like JMH i think the "issue" is fb. Also in the italian forums happened the same migration, probably because fb is easier and faster to use, nowadays how many people don't have an fb account? (btw, one it's me). Until there are some forums active, i will use them.

Historically it is always quieter at this time of year, probably due to the fact it is getting into dormancy in the Northern hemisphere so there isnt a great deal going on.  Pretty soon, I wouldk guess that our antipodean chums will be making us jealous by regaling us with their pictures.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

8 hours ago, picol said:

Like JMH i think the "issue" is fb. Also in the italian forums happened the same migration, probably because fb is easier and faster to use, nowadays how many people don't have an fb account? (btw, one it's me). Until there are some forums active, i will use them.

I don't use face book either 

jim

I always used the "New Content" button to find what was going on. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I don't like the new style and the way it lists every post of updated threads.  Imho, It seemed to be easier to find what I was looking for in the previous style.  I've never used FB for CP info either, as I preferred the forum format to FBs timeline but, that said, I do have an account so perhaps I'll have a look.

3 hours ago, tatter said:

I don't use face book either 

Thought I was the only person on the planet without a fb account! Nice to know there are at least two others :biggrin:.

I've looked at it once or twice, but was put off by it wanting me to create an account before it would even let me see what the site was about, or what it offered. I wasn't sufficiently interested to give my email address out to yet another site in the offchance that it was good enough to stick with.

Shame that these forums are losing people to it. Although I prefer the old style, the new is still good. Will miss it if it dies off.

9 hours ago, Yossu said:

Thought I was the only person on the planet without a fb account! Nice to know there are at least two others :biggrin:.

Don't be afraid Yossu, you are not alone!!!! :D

I just had a quick look on FB. The groups I looked at certainly had some very nice pictures of a range of different genera. The simplicity of posting images is, after all, one of FBs strengths whereas it tends to be a bit of a faff on the forum.  Even so I think the forum format (as in CPUK) beats FB hands down when it comes to serious discussion and searchability.  Made me appreciate CPUK a lot more (even with the new style).  I'd definitely miss CPUK if it was no longer here, I couldn't say the same for FB.

• Like 2

For me the advantage a forum has over FB is the ability to trace and keep a discussion or conversation despite the time frame. Here (or any other forum) I can search and find different threads about i.e. a specific nepenthes species or its cultivation, while in FB is almost impossible to find a discussion after a couple of days.

Fb makes it easier to get in contact with other growers but the forums keep huge amounts of knowledge available. 

• Like 2

Fb kills any forum whatever we talk, not only CPUK but all of them....CPUK just slowly dying although it is my beloved forum...

Most of the people just use CPUK to sell or buy something and 99% of them dont really care for good discussions... sponsors, members etc...Correct me if I'm wrong....:yes:

Edited by dimitar

i disagree dimitar, i see lots of new ppl join the forum, and im really enjoying the discussions here. I dont think FB has enough to offer to make forums die..Also i think this just is a less busy time, since winter is coming... I dont like fb at all. Like JMHoff said, its much easier to find info here, and to keep discussing about the same topics if you wish so. cpuk is very much alive for me, but maybe just hibernating a little :P 

• Like 1

I do prefer forums to Facebook, don't get me wrong, Facebook is ok to post a few pics and get likes and such like but I feel forums are more of a community and you can search a wealth of info in the numerous posts, with Facebook everything is crammed into a ever lengthening time line, I find it far too cluttered and a bore to keep scrolling through endless posts. I have met such a marvellous mix of growers on this site, also cpuk made forming the Scottish branch of the cps a lot easier, I met all the current members on cpuk. This all started last year from a simple post on here asking if people would be interested in meeting up in Edinburgh, I was quickly contacted by other people in Scotland and the CPS and with their invaluable help, a simple idea a year ago to meet now and again has turned into the Scottish branch! So I would like to give a big thank you to the people who keep this site running smoothly and to the CPS for taking over the site to keep this invaluable community going! Oh and tuberous dew season[emoji4]

Mark

• Like 2

dont trust facebook. they dont have our best interests in mind. when facebook disappears or decides they want to monetize facebook groups, people will wish they hadn't left forums like this one. how about rounding everybody up and getting them back here? tell them sundewmatt is back.  that should be all it takes to convince them!  :rolleyes:

• Like 2