Tepui drosera

David w

I also am having trouble with solaris, This is my first year with south American sundews. I keep mine in a shed with t5 lights and a fan for hot and cold times. Think the solaris couldn't handle the hot temps we had in the uk wile establishing in the new media and conditions. Weirdly my roraimae and others are doing well.

Edited by mark funnell
  • Like 1

Hi sundewmatt, yea your right i read somewhere about their natural habitat reaches a max of 26c. Have some more solaris on the way. My temps are much better in my grow tent now so hopefully they will establish this time for the winter approaching. Then they will harden up for the summer temps next year hopefully then grow in a semi sheltered spot in the garden in the peak of summer.

i grew solaris from seed when it first entered cultivation. at the time, i was using a product called no damp off (milled sphagnum from mosser lee). it was great for germinating seed, but would eventually grow and overgrow small plants. ive since switched to supersphag, which doesn't grow. id recommend using supersphag or something else thats not going to grow moss that will compete with the plants. im looking forward to getting solaris seed again soon.

good luck!

Thanks for the info. Would buy some but its quite expensive with the postage on top which ive just found out. Buying small amounts of the sphag is not really ideal cost wise.

Think i'll stick to my peat/sand mix for the time being then see how it goes. 

Hopefully the solaris will take off as my roraimae has in my mix.

Cheers tho matt