Drosera anglica is it dead

Deltatango301

Hi DT301, i enterely quote what Richard wrote: try to check for hybernaculum, if you don't find any of them try with seeds, but spread them on live sphagnum moss, i had good result. 

On 17 October 2016 at 9:58 PM, picol said:

Hi DT301, i enterely quote what Richard wrote: try to check for hybernaculum, if you don't find any of them try with seeds, but spread them on live sphagnum moss, i had good result. 

Took the plant out of the pot to look for any signs of life, completely dead as a door nail rotten.

checked the 2 flower storks no seeds, will get in touch with Matt at HCP see what I have done wrong.

How strange, have you had them long?Mine have formed a resting bud for the winter. I keep them standing in water all summer then they are kept moist during the winter. They are outside all year.

Edited by mark funnell

17 hours ago, picol said:

Try to improve the air circulation in the greenhouse, hybernaculums are very sensible to lack of air and sunlight. 

I do have plenty of air circulation 2 auto side vents 2 auto roof vents, also open the door very day summer and winter

I just wonder if on a very hot day this summer that anglica got too much sun ?

not got a reply from Matt yet at HCP

IMG_1262.jpg

Edited by Deltatango301

2 hours ago, Deltatango301 said:

Boy I would have used all my spagmum planting them in there :man_in_love:

yes it would have been better, i grow rotundifolia, intermedia and anglica in live sphagnum and they are thriving.

I don' t think english sun could be a problem, they are tougher than you may think. Mine (from seed germinated in spring) survived to a extemely hot and long lasting italian summer. I grow mine with a lot of live sphagnum in full sun, open air with just a coverage above.

2 hours ago, picol said:

I don' t think english sun could be a problem, they are tougher than you may think. Mine (from seed germinated in spring) survived to a extemely hot and long lasting italian summer. I grow mine with a lot of live sphagnum in full sun, open air with just a coverage above.

I know what you are saying but yours were outside so plenty of air circulation it can get very very hot on a few days here in summer in the greenhouse maybe I just got unlucky with its position I also lost a rotundifolia but that came back when

i put it at the back of the greenhouse out of full sun.

Edited by Deltatango301

When D.anglica starts to get a hibernacula, its roots will die back, so there is no re growth from the roots. The temperature in a greenhouse gets sometimes too high for the temperate species, even in Britain weather. The sun outside in wet sphagnum is always lower because of the cooling effect of the wet Sphagnum even in Italy.

You can keep a Cola quite cold wrapped in a wet towel even in the sun. ;) But it won’t work in a greenhouse, when the water level in the air gets too high no water will evaporate anymore to take the warmth away.

Edited by partisangardener

Hi Partisangardener, i must apologize, i misreaded what DT301 wrote about keeping them in the greenhouse. My words was only referred to growing temperate sundews outside.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, Deltatango301 said:

I know what you are saying but yours were outside so plenty of air circulation it can get very very hot on a few days here in summer in the greenhouse maybe I just got unlucky with its position I also lost a rotundifolia but that came back when

i put it at the back of the greenhouse out of full sun.

Terry

do you use any shading at all  ie coolglass  or shading net ?

it might help

jim

No don't use any, of cause when I'm was growing veg I did.

I think its just about getting more experience with the Drosera and placing them

in the greenhouse in the correct position with the right potting medium 

VFT and Sarracenia seem to be ok

BTW I have only lost 3 out of over 40 so must be doing something right its

just making sure I learn more about the  temperate sundews

Edited by Deltatango301

On 23/10/2016 at 6:36 PM, Deltatango301 said:

No don't use any, of cause when I'm was growing veg I did.

Hi Terry, one thing you might consider is increase your ventilation by removing some of your panes of glass during the summer, should be easy with your greenhouse with the bar capping. I've had problems for a few years with cacti and succulents dying during any hot spells we might have and there are plenty of days in a typical British summer when a greenhouse can hit 40C. I already had fans running 24/7 but it still didn't stop my plants dying.

This year I removed  2 panes of glass then fixed netting over the empty window (stop birds, bumble bees, rain etc getting in).  This helped a lot and has definitely reduced the number of plants dying.  For cold or wet days I bought some 2mm perspex and fixed it over the window with velcro and even trained my wife how to fix/remove it while I was at work :thumbsup:

I've just put the glazing back in for the winter but instead of putting the original glass back I bought 5mm perspex which is easier for me to carry about and don't have to worry about breaking.  Of course you could dispense with the expense of perspex and use any old plastic sheet for the rainy days and refit the original glass in winter, the point is to improve the movement of air around the greenhouse when it's hot.

Good luck, Drosera anglica is a nice plant so don't give up.

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1