heldros.pl

Yunzi

Has anyone purchased from heldros.pl at all?  Their selection looks great and there are a few things I want before it gets too cold!

• 8 months later...

I had one bad experience with them. Last year I bought some Drosera ascendens seeds. I sowed them in a terrarium and after some time what did I see? A bunch of Drosera capensis. So I wrote to them. They responded, that the capensis must've gotten there accidentally from somewhere else and that they surely send me the correct seeds, but they just didn't germinate...Yeah right. What are the odds, of rouge capensis seeds getting into the terrarium, from a plant that's standing a few meters away and didn't flower for some time? Not to mention, that it germinated in the EXACT same spot, that I've sown the supposed D. ascendens. Not to mention, that it couldn't be ascendens, as this plant is not yet in widespread cultivation, as i learned after some time. I'm 100% sure, that it's Drosera latifolia and I wrote to them about that, asking them to correct the name. I gave them a link to the article supporting that and ask to show me photos of the flower stalk. I only got an arrogant response saying "I'm selling what I say i do". They didn't even acknowledge a logical reasoning.

Edited by Dieball
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've bought a p. gigantea white flower from them, and it is a beautiful plant, very strong and healty... only I must to wait the flower to be sure it is white flower, but I'm quite sure of this, because it is different from my purple flower one... so I've had a good experience with Heldros

In my opinion Heldros is a very solid shop and probably the best in my country in terms of reliability. I've bought many plants from them in a timeframe of couple years. With every single purchase plants were dispatched immediately, all of the very exact size as stated on the website and in perfect health. I'll repeat myself here - perfect health. I was especially amazed by beautiful Darlingtonias I got. The owner of Heldros - Marek - is an honest person with great knowledge of his plants.

Heldros - highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like right now they're sold out on everything that isn't Dionaea, Sarracenia or Pinguicula. Even the Drosera capensis is sold out! I might order a Pinguicula gigantea white flower as well, but I think I'll wait until they get more in stock again. The prices and pictures look great, at least.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 6/24/2017 at 8:10 PM, carambola said:

Looks like right now they're sold out on everything that isn't Dionaea, Sarracenia or Pinguicula. Even the Drosera capensis is sold out! I might order a Pinguicula gigantea white flower as well, but I think I'll wait until they get more in stock again. The prices and pictures look great, at least.

Six years later I finally got around to ordering that P. gigantea 'White Flower', as well as a couple of other Pinguicula, and a Darlingtonia. I received the package earlier this week. The plants appear to be healthy, but as soon as I saw the package, I remembered why I stopped buying plants from Eastern European webshops: the prices look great, but the plants you receive are much, much, much smaller than you'd ever get when buying locally. Just to give an example, P. gigantea is a plant that reaches up to 30 cm in diameter. The one I ordered was size S as that was the only size left. Which diameter would you expect to receive if you ordered a P. gigantea in size S? Would it be... drumroll... 3 cm, with a total of four leaves? That's right, the leaves are exactly 1,5 cm long. If you accidentally sneeze when potting it up (because - another reason why I stopped ordering abroad - you get bare-rooted plants¹), you've lost it forever. I paid 9 EUR / 36 PLN for it, which seems pretty damn expensive for such a miniature specimen.

A webshop in Western Europe wouldn't even dare sell plants of such a pitiful size, and going to any plant convention these are the size hobbyists like us hand out for free.

The other plants I ordered were two Pinguicula with which I have similar size concerns, and a Darlingtonia in size XS which was exactly the size I expected, because the approximate diameter was listed in the description. The Darlingtonia was kept potted up. Ironically, this XS Darlingtonia is more than twice the diameter of the S P. gigantea.

Well, lesson learned - stop buying from Eastern European shops who sell overpriced, ridiculously small plants. Sigh...

¹ I know this is to save on shipping, but for miniature plants, the additional weight of having them potted up would be negligible, and it saves the store the work of uprooting it, cleaning the roots, wrapping it in sphagnum, etc. Not to mention, I'd gladly pay a bit more for shipping if it meant not having to go through the hassle of immediately potting everything up and babying the plants until they recover from transplant shock on top of being sat packed in a small box for over a week.

• 3 months later...

Most people prefer to buy three small plants for the price of one medium size plant. There is no guarantee that the bigger plant will grow and it can kick the bucket just like the "pitifully" small ones. Gigantea in particular is prone to just randomly kicking the bucket, so I'd take a small one for 9 euros over a medium sized one for 20+ euros any day.

btw, I haven't ordered anything from heldros, but this bashing of eastern european stores is very unjust. Their plants might be smaller(although that depends on which plant...), but they are also way cheaper. If you take care of them, they'll grow into big plants either way and you'll spend way less money.

• Like 1