Sarracenia dormancy?

jlagrange9137

• 2 months later...

agreed. all sarracenia need dormancy but it is not black and white; there are some shades of gray to the rule:

there is a bit variation from species to species and hybrid to hybrid

-For example some plants shut down completely whereas some keep growing albeit at a slower pace

-Some plants lose all of their foliage whereas some do not lose any

-Some plants start making non-carnivorous leaves whereas some continue to produce traps

-Also 1 exception worth noting is for new plants you can skip dormancy for the first year or 2 of their life

-Some plants are extremely cold hardy and some are significantly less cold hardy....best rule of thumb is let it get cold but not sub zero because no sarracenia can survive an extended length of time being frozen solid in a pot especially if the pot is small in and in a tray.

-Generally most unheated, enclosed room is ideal and/or cold frame

-Lastly, they do not require much water during dormancy. I top water mine once every other week during dormancy. If it is too wet during dormancy you will take losses and by law of murphy it will be your most prized or most expensive one. 

I am fairly fatigued at the moment so feel free to add or correct as needed. hope this was helpful.

Edited by cpbobby