HELLO!!!! Newish to the forum here are some photos of my display at work

BBG Durrant

Hello,

To everyone on CPUK, I have been a member for several months reading discussions and salivating over other peoples CP's. I decided it was time to reveal myself from the shadows and come into the open about my own display. I am fortunate enough to have the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (UK) as an office, and even more fortunate to have the carnivorous section as my own personal playground. It has been so much fun, an I was given nearly complete artistic license with this display with the exception of a few tips and pointers from my glasshouse manager (many thanks to him for being so tolerable over my excitable attitude toward these amazing plants). I however am merely a novice with these plants and do not claim much experience with them at all (2-3 years).

2 years ago I under took the job of revamping our display. I tore it apart down to the metal frame work after removing some of the plants which had there original labels. I then replaced the structure using a artificial decking board (it doesn't rot). I then lined the display with plastic liner and insert large trays for water retention with a dry area at one end for Mexican pings, Byblis, and the Roridula. I then deposited a large amount of peat, perlite and grit into the area (Cant remember the exact ratio) with sections of ping mix and the sandy section at the far end. I then designed the bog pits you see in the photos (they are now empty because I am trying to get the plants to have a dormancy period) but during the summer I filled these each day its really nice on a summers day when you can get some reflections of the pitchers. I then covered the are in sphagnum moss (which is only just starting to grow). the whole bed gets water through capillary act through the moss and peat from the pits. I then planted out and added the tufa rock on the Dry section of the display.

I think we now have a nice diverse display, (we also have several large nep around the glasshouses) however we are missing some genus like Genlisea, Philcoxia and Triphyophyllum but I would appreciate any feedback the CPUK members have.

I have tried to keep the display as accurate as possible in terms of how the plants would grow in the wild with the exception of removing weeds and dead foliage.

This display is also only 1 year old and there fore some of the plant have not yet reached maturity. Enjoy 

Due to the limit on importing file size this website has I cannot not upload the images -.- (thanks technology)

I've tried to upload the images on to drop box hopefully this will work XD these were take with my phone so not the best quality but hopeful enough to encourage some of you to visit in person.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wnttaaoshnos7cm/AAACg9nKP5-4kKXUxbgFPwLIa?dl=0

Edited by BBG Durrant
  • Like 4

Hello and welcome  looking forward to the pictures sounds like I will have to get down to the BBG next year then .Sorry to say not been there for a few years and only live about 3 miles away

regards

Jim

Firstly, welcome to the forum I hope you find it a useful source of info and perhaps of plants too.

Until yesterday I had never been to the Birmingham Botanical Garden so, although I was only supposed to be attending the Cactus and Haworthia shows which were being held there, it was a fantastic bonus to see your CP area there in the tropical house.  The plants are all looking very healthy and the habitat you have created is truly magnificent.  It was nice to see a number of Pings and Australian Drosera in the display as I'm sure these often get overlooked in botanical garden features and I saw my first Byblis which made me want to try growing them.  I think the addition of these types of genera shows this is a serious venture and not just the half hearted token effort you sometimes see

As I told you yesterday it is the best CP display I have seen in any Botanical Garden so, well done and do get those pictures posted.  I took a few myself but the glory should be yours and I'm sure you can get better pictures than me anyway.  Just upload them to Photobucket or flickr and copy the link then upload it here.

Finally it was a pleasure to talk to you yesterday, I don't very often meet fellow CP enthusiast these days.

10 hours ago, BBG Durrant said:

we've got it down as Pinguicula "Weser"

The original got pinched however all the ones there are leaf pulling i took previously the largest about the size of a 2p coin

apparently the pink develops under strong sunlight or artificial lights and can take over whole of plant in right conditions. Otherwise  green

regards

jim

popped into the botanical gardens today and can confirm the display of cps is as good as the photos suggest

there are of cause cacti for those that like them as well as tropical and semi tropical glass houses

well worth a going if you are in area

Jim