S. x leah wilkerson x Leucophylla var pubescens clone 5 & 6

Deltatango301

I have 2 clones of  S. x leah wilkerson x Leucophylla var pubescens one has the typical red patch

inside in the lid and the other has not, clone 6 has the red inside of and is a younger/small plant the

other which is older/lager clone 5 has no red patch. Is this what happens with clones sometimes that

they do not follow typical form heres a couple of images 

image_37.jpeg

Clone 6

image_38.jpeg

Clone 5

Edited by Deltatango301
  • Like 1

Seed grown plants will exhibit a great deal of diversity from the parents, whereas with true vegetative cloning by division or tissue culture will produce plants exactly like the parent plant, hence clone. If a plant is vegatively reproduced and does not look like its parent the difference can only be environmental issues.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by billynomates666
additional info

Generally 25% of the offspring will look like parent A, 25% will look like parent B and 50% will look like a mix of the two.

With complex crosses though things can look complicated. If parent A is red with a red splotch for example, of those 25% some might be red with no red splotch and some might be green with a red splotch. So they may take after parent A, but only inhibit certain characteristics and so end up not actually looking like parent A on the face of it at all.

This book is quite good at explaining hybrid characteristics: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardening-Carnivores-Pitcher-Plants-Cultivation/dp/0868404527

as has been said,seed grown plants are all slightly different,hence the clone numbers to tell them apart.

Also the enviroment has some effect,some plants have a very strong throat patch,look at the Italian growers plants due to the strong sun.My red stripe and WWK are rubbish this year,they both only have very faint throat patches compared to last year----- you wouldn't think they were the same plants.

ada

That's very interesting because my clones came from Italy, so next year they could be better.

think I will put them right next to the window in the greenhouse to get maximum light.

BTW the image on the left of leah wilkerson is from a image from the Italian supplier

maybe I am looking at that and hoping mine will be the same :rolleyes:

Edited by Deltatango301

When you make crossings, you  need to have as many seeds (and seedlings) as possible. When they are large enough, you have to make a drastic selection. Usually you get a low proportion of interesting plants, even if you use exceptional clones as parents. And yes, sometimes you need time before being able to judge the quality of the plants.

• Like 1