Cephalotus Howell Giant

Harro

Adrian - thank you for the pics. I saw them all in facebook. Looking forward for plant updates :)

Harro - thank you for the pic. Looks very nice plant and I'll try to add this clone in my collection...

However, I don't know who is  Ibenberger neither  Stephan Lenssen  but I spoke with some Australian growers and here is what one of them told me:

I knew Fred Howell since 1980. One of the very early growers and sellers in Australia. Fred was a good friend of Steve Beckwith the guy who sent rhizomes to John Hummer and may have had some of the plants that were sent to John Hummer. It was so long ago and Fred is dead now."

Interesting information though...

• Like 2

Yes. 1987 

14 hours ago, Bidde said:

Hi Harro,

Ive called with my friend Klaus Keller these Days. He told me that he and Weinert were the first guys who ordered this clone from Fred Howell Australia.

Yes. Probably..1987.

• Like 1

Lilacina you are always looking for mistakes member sometimes are doing (will T and others). You are not fawless.  Double posting as you did is not nessesary and by the way have you learned to post a picture ?

Edited by Harro

2 hours ago, Bidde said:

Mathias Maier a famous german grower has old Fred Howell clones. He always says that his plants build giant pitchers with 8cm and more in the summer. But ive never seen pictures which confirm this. I hope i will see this on my Howell clone one day with my own eyes. 

Thank you for the information.  But I have to ask 8 cm size with or without the lid of the pitcher? 

BTW, I spoke with Australian grower who has been very good friend with Fred Howell and he told me from what exactly location Fred Howell  has his plants from. Of course I won't tell in public this location because I prefer the plant to remain with the name as is known so far and not to appear unneccessary confusions between the growers.

I saw and sale list from Fred Howell back in 1980 - 1987 and small plant from this clone has cost $3 and medium size $5.... :)

1 hour ago, dimitar said:

Thank you for the information.  But I have to ask 8 cm size with or without the lid of the pitcher? 

BTW, I spoke with Australian grower who has been very good friend with Fred Howell and he told me from what exactly location Fred Howell  has his plants from. Of course I won't tell in public this location because I prefer the plant to remain with the name as is known so far and not to appear unneccessary confusions between the growers.

I saw and sale list from Fred Howell back in 1980 - 1987 and small plant from this clone has cost $3 and medium size $5.... :)

dimitar, did the Australian grower say whether Fred sold this as a giant clone or whether it produced large pitchers in his growing conditions?

5 hours ago, mobile said:

Please keep posts on topic and friendly.

Its good that I read the post of "lilacina" earlier.....When u delete posts of members, please delete them in the way so that the others can uderstand whose post was deleted. Otherwise u can get wrong impression for member participant in this thread.... and can be seen as unfriendlly of you....  

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 1

On 29.09.2016 г. at 2:27 PM, mobile said:

dimitar, did the Australian grower say whether Fred sold this as a giant clone or whether it produced large pitchers in his growing conditions?

mobile,

The quote bellow is posted with permission of the author because it was part of our personal conversation.

" I have been in Fred's greenhouse many times back in 1980 - 1990 because he lived very close to me. I used to spend $25 that was a lot money for me back then and I was 24 years old so long time ago right. I never bought anyhing " Giant" from Fred simply because he never label or sold his Cephalotus clone as "Giant" neither Fred ever label this clone in his price list as "Giant". I still have his price list back in the 1980 and small plant cost $3, medium sized $5.  Moreover Fred or anyone here in Australia has ever sold any Cephalotus labeled as "Giant". I have no idea who has added "Giant" of Fred's clone but it sounds like good sale point to me...."

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...