Saving Plants

saadplant

My charity saves plants from places like asda and the things I see are horrible but I still have to pay to save them?

here are examples of what I see:
Extremely root bound plants

yellow leaves on plants 

soil as dry as rock

aphids

branches with kinks

and worst

These plants normally sell for 10 - 50p so I would LOVE it if you saved one and get a saviour badge on my website.

http://bit.do/redspat

make sure you buy one of the plants that have been discounted due to looks or fruit expiry 

Edited by saadplant

The problem is that by "saving" them, you are actually encouraging the shops to buy more. If you're really interested in doing good, you would be better off lobbying Asda's (or whoever's) buying people, and trying to convince them either to stop, or to look after the plants better. 

But when all's said and done, these are only plants. We aren't talking about people or animals. Whilst it makes me sad to see poorly cared for plants, I can't say it seems important enough to base a charity on.

9 minutes ago, Yossu said:

The problem is that by "saving" them, you are actually encouraging the shops to buy more. If you're really interested in doing good, you would be better off lobbying Asda's (or whoever's) buying people, and trying to convince them either to stop, or to look after the plants better. 

But when all's said and done, these are only plants. We aren't talking about people or animals. Whilst it makes me sad to see poorly cared for plants, I can't say it seems important enough to base a charity on.

I see your point but In my view plants are more important than animals also we are working on a deal with Asda so we can get these plants for free but we are probably just going to get a discount but that lobbying off idea seems great . also I have at max only seen 10 a week at asda and B&Q so I am not worried about encouraging them 

I'm sorry, this is a crazy outlook. Cultivated plants are not as important as animals. They are cultivated in the tens of thousands for the supermarket trade and wastage is taken into account.

Incidentally, supermarkets, DIY stores etc are not allowed to water their plants due to health and safety. That is why they are always seen drying out.

Also, there is an awful lot of work, rules and regulations involved in running a 'charity' that you may want to research before posting further.

I do appreciate your trying to do the right thing, but ultimately it doesn't benefit anyone and will not change the regulations on the sakes of plants.

12 hours ago, Yossu said:

Yes I have read about the rules and I dont expect to get more than £5000 a year so I am fine

idc if you don't think this charity is worth it if something is living and can be saved from bad conditions it should be saved from bad conditions and this is not some national charity it is a very small charity with only 2 donation points working on a 3rd one we only earn around £10 a week from this but these plants usually sell for 10p-£1 so we manage to save around 30-45 a month finally though it does not say anywhere on the website but this charity also helps bumble bees by building them hives and looking after them unfortunately it is not season

Edited by saadplant

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Incidentally, supermarkets, DIY stores etc are not allowed to water their plants due to health and safety. That is why they are always seen drying out.

Well cut off both my legs and call me Shorty, I never knew that! Explains quite a lot.

Presumably places like B&Q get a special dispensation as garden centres, 'cos if they weren't allowed to water their plants, they'd be in trouble quickly! Mind you, having seen what B&Q do to the few carnis that end up there, you might be tempted to believe they aren't allowed to water them either!

Why does health and safety stop you watering plants?  (Ok i know there theres going to be some 'sensible' reason for this but still...).

btw, i think if you want the cooperation of companies like asda, it might be wise not to slag them off, but rather highlight anything good they do...

Edited by manders

"Have you slipped on water at a supermarket recently ? Bruised your bum slightly ? Then you need to call Claims4Nothing right now ! Despite the fact thay you're a responsible adult(?) who should have looked where they were stepping, you really should sue the scumbags and help sack an underpaid stressed out staff member for their careless watering of plants"

I despise this Nanny State we live in :twisted:

• Like 1

If you want your charity project to be considered serious and not only a time killer for a well intended youngster then you should at least do a spell check in your website and revise the content in it.

I like your entusiasm btw but I do not know if I share your goals and methods.

6 hours ago, manders said:

Why does health and safety stop you watering plants?  (Ok i know there theres going to be some 'sensible' reason for this but still...).

btw, i think if you want the cooperation of companies like asda, it might be wise not to slag them off, but rather highlight anything good they do...

yes I want to try get asda help so instead of buying plants we can get them for free whenever they have left over stock

btw guys I know companies are not allowed to water them but they discount left over stock and all I am doing is buying those plants nursing them  till they get better them give them away or keep them for myself these are a few plants and I thought I would do a good deed by taking care of them

6 hours ago, North West Neps said:

"Have you slipped on water at a supermarket recently ? Bruised your bum slightly ? Then you need to call Claims4Nothing right now ! Despite the fact thay you're a responsible adult(?) who should have looked where they were stepping, you really should sue the scumbags and help sack an underpaid stressed out staff member for their careless watering of plants"

I despise this Nanny State we live in :twisted:

That well known lefty-criminal Blair has a lot to answer for...

• Like 1

So do I get this right? you dont buy dying plants from their shops to their regular prices.. but you make a deal with shops to get their left over plants at discount prices in order to save them + ppl donate to your charity? 
Count me in!

Edited by Tropicat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tropicat said:

So do I get this right? you dont buy dying plants from their shops to their regular prices.. but you make a deal with shops to get their left over plants at discount prices in order to save them + ppl donate to your charity? 
Count me in!

yep that is what happens you do not even need to donate the shops lower their price by themselves all you need to do is go to B&Q or asda look for some and buy them 

On 24/09/2016 at 10:59 PM, saadplant said:

I see your point but In my view plants are more important than animals also we are working on a deal with Asda so we can get these plants for free but we are probably just going to get a discount but that lobbying off idea seems great . also I have at max only seen 10 a week at asda and B&Q so I am not worried about encouraging them 

Just our of interest; what do you actually eat? I'm guessing you aren't a vegetarian.

46 minutes ago, nicmanism said:

Just our of interest; what do you actually eat? I'm guessing you aren't a vegetarian.

He did say earlier "In my view plants are more important than animals" which doesn't count out the possibility of eating meat. Sounds like he doesn't eat vegetables though :roll: