Dieball's Plants

Hi!

I've been here on this forum for a while already and I've almost never posted here. I was just looking at the sale offers most of the time. Well, it's high time to show my collection to you :)

I keep all my plants in small room that I'm renting, so I had to come up with a few clever ways on how to fit them all in this place.

My growspace includes a windowsill, two shelves, One glass 'landscape' terrarium 80x40x40cm and two polycarbonate terrariums that I made myself. One 90x40x35cm for lowlanders (made from leftovers :P) and One 90x40x150cm for highlanders.

Today I'll show the first batch of photos :)

My windowsill:

LAYeh4f.jpg

I had to provide additional lighting. Winter is coming!

N. 'Bloody Mary'
IKtLj02.jpg
bSbwhr0.jpg

N. truncata
NfWdJGz.jpg

N. 'Miranda'
oGnvkjM.jpg
XRfffvb.jpg

Hangin in the upper row are N. albomarginata Red, N. spectabilis x ventricosa and:
N. ventricosa x ovata
1xojeS2.jpg

N. 'Hookeriana'
ad6pHHG.jpg
Fyz85e4.jpg

U. sandersonii
Ij2K0lj.jpg

U. livida
oXtYs5w.jpg

D. regia
pIWvJeA.jpg

On the other side of the window, there are two 80cm pots with Sarracenias:
uN9Ahap.jpg

Sarracenia alata [Angelina county, Texas]
Xc1XFKn.jpg

S. 'Chelsonii'
dSBGM7X.jpg

S. flava var. flava

S. 'leucophylla Hybrid type A' (Extreme plants)
PliQCL8.jpg

S. rubra RG02 PW subsp. gulfensis f. heterophylla [Yellow River, Florida] 
z9Lxxzr.jpg

The other half:

a5GNjFf.jpg

Darlingtonia californica 
EXq6P2U.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnok' 
lp0wqxr.jpg
9ezpUpS.jpg

Sarracenia alata 'Black Tube' [DeSoto National Forest] 
raSBRla.jpg

Sarracenia rubra subsp. jonesii anthocyanin free
8DR1nNk.jpg

Sarracenia minor
dbHpsQN.jpg

nDfD4wH.jpg

And now the shelves:

ZmN602F.jpg

69MYQlg.jpg

Drosera x 'Snyderi'
G9sVwNX.jpg

Drosera coccicaulis
syhxxJQ.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis
MRcNcdz.jpg

Plant that I propagated from leaf pulling from the plant above
Wi14fyK.jpg

cOkNopy.jpg

Pot with the common Drosera
C1EjqHa.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Dutch'
Wlyj0nZ.jpg

Drosera capillaris
JYNY0lU.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Kaufland' (it's not typical, but I can't recognize this clone, so I'm naming it after the shop)
ZPvGXcs.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Akai Ryu'
Z70dLYB.jpg

Utricularia longifolia growing in the bonsai pot
7sQV4w4.jpg

Edited by Dieball
  • Like 3

Couple more photos:

Lowland terrarium

6t5TL1b.jpg

I have in it N. ampullaria in a few variations: 

*Lime Twist

9SIijxm.jpg

*Green and Harlequinn

G0Kr8s0.jpg

Green

8jTSPJW.jpg

*Red Speckled

VaQ2A0p.jpg

*N. ampullaria x spectabilis

tDI8dwP.jpg

*N. campanulata

EphOaoG.jpg

7SdaySw.jpg

eIepge7.jpg

*N. bicalcarata Red Flush

TheozQZ.jpg

*N. bicalcarata

ZYNcTsT.jpg

I also have in there some petiolaris drosera, but they're dormant now.

* Drosera lanata 'NT Form' x petiolaris

ACJr5al.jpg

What an excellent use of the space! Given me some ideas. First though, some questions...

What kind of lights are you using, and what level?

What is the reflective stuff you have have around the shelves? Looks pretty shiny.

Also, do you have any problem with the plants on the shelves being lit from the side, rather than above? I would have expected them to grow towards the light, resulting in oddly proportioned plants. Yours all look pretty well balanced.

Please keep us posted.

7 hours ago, Yossu said:

What kind of lights are you using, and what level?

Well. I have a different lighting in every piece of my collection, so I'll list all of them. I will list all my lighting, even for the parts of my collection that I'm still going to post in the near future, to keep the topic tidy :) 

The lights everywhere are between 15-20cm.

Windowsill: Sylvania grolux 35w T5 (lower row) and Sylvania aquastar 35w T5 (upper row)

Upper shelf: Phillips Tornado 20w (cold light) and 10w led bulb (from Roraima.pl) (both are gonna be changed for 35led panel probably in the future)

Lower shelf: Led panel 36w

Lowland terrarium: Sylvania grolux 35w T5  and Sylvania aquastar 35w T5

Glass 'landscape' terrarium: Led panel 65w

Highland terrarium:

lower: Led panel 45w

middle and upper: Led panel 25w

Pinguicula aquarium: Sylvania grolux 24w + 12w Led panel (it's gonna be changed for 35led panel probably in the future)

7 hours ago, Yossu said:

What is the reflective stuff you have have around the shelves? Looks pretty shiny.

It's called Mylar. It's quite easy to get :)

7 hours ago, Yossu said:

Also, do you have any problem with the plants on the shelves being lit from the side, rather than above? I would have expected them to grow towards the light, resulting in oddly proportioned plants. Yours all look pretty well balanced.

Actually, I know it should probably be a problem, but as you can see it isn't. Maybe because they're not being lighted directly from the side, but a little bit from above. Or maybe because of the Mylar, which has excellent reflective properties and that makes the plants being lighted from every side. Those two bulbs were a temporary solution,but they're doing fine, so I'm not rushing the light change.

Ok. I've answered the questions, so here is the next terrarium. Sorry for the weird colors, but my camera has problems with handling the led light.

glass 'landscape' terrarium 80x40x40cm

FJGLUx1.jpg

*Heliamphora pulchella [Churi Tepui]

iPcB97v.jpg

*Heliamphora pulchella [Apacapa Tepui]

nHd0tpJ.jpg

*Drosera graomogolensis

2nao4ci.jpg

*Double flower on D. aliciae

dr30ia.jpg

*Wierd flower stalk on D. aliciae 

280nqeu.jpg

*This one I bought as Heliamphora heterodoxa x nutans, but I'm not so sure about that... Anyone has any ideas?

11u85k0.jpg

*And another probably misidentified - bought as H. heterodoxa, but probably is H. heterodoxa x minor

DUxVJGk.jpg

*Heliamphora minor

2pt9kox.jpg

*Overall view on the lowland and landscape terrariums

Nn7RKkP.jpg

Overall I'm not yet satisfied with this terrarium. Sphagnum going wild is making it too chaotic and Helis are placed randomly. Fortunately they're in pots so I can move them freely. I also need to get rid of the more common drosera, altough I'm keeping the capensis, because it became somehow dwarfed. Nice and compact. Oh and D. nidiformis, because it's growing nice and red. I'm aiming to have in there:

Heliamphora minor and pulchella. In few different variations and localizations. Also H. hispida (it's not on the photos). Maybe I'll move my H. cilliata in there, but I'm not sure.

Drosera graomogolensis, D. ascendens, D. adelae, D. oblanceolata, D. prolifera, D.solaris, D. spirocalyx, D. tomentosa.

That's it for today. Next time: my Pinguicula aquarium!

Edited by Dieball
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answers and the extra pics. Looking really good.

I'm looking to set up a much bigger indoor area than I have now, and was looking at some LEDs. I found some really cheap ones on eBay, which would enable me to cover a decent area, but given that they are so cheap, I'm a little nervous. I know little about LEDs, and wondered if you had any comments...

2X 14W 225 LEDs Grow Light Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plants Veg Flower Lamp Panel
£3.99 and free P+P for two units

45W 225 LED Grow Light Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plants Veg Flower Lamp Panel Kit
Only one unit, but 45W for £10.80 and free P+P

I currently use 30W 6400K CFLs,  and wondered how these compare to them. If these are growlights, do they compare to 6400K bulbs? Also, is there any advantage of red/blue over daylight white?

I found a couple of pages (here and here) that compare LEDs to CFLs, and it looks like my 30W CFLs are the rough equivalent of 20W of LEDs. This means that the 42W unit I linked above is about twice as powerful as my CFLs, for less than the price of two bulbs.

Any comments? Thanks again.

To be honest, commercially available leds are way overpriced, and less effective than custom-made leds. The ones that you linked, are most probably just a piece of garbage. Even a few Phillips Tornado bulbs would give better light. 

I have one trusted guy, who makes all the lamps for me, quite easy. Under just 45W my Heliamphoras are getting all red, so you can imagine how intense they are. As for the price, The 45w lamp cost me around 70€ (but I have a little discount :P ). I know it can sound a little bit expensive, but belive me, sooner or later, you're going to regret any other way of lighting. I tried something cheaper and eventually ended up changing everything for leds. If you want, you can pm me, and I'll get the email address to the guy.

When you say they are garbage, what do you mean? Is the spectrum that isn't wide enough, or the quality of the units, or something else? I know very little about these things, and just want to get myself some decent lighting without spending a fortune. As you say, it's all generally way overpriced. I would like to move to LEDs, but don't know enough about them to know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the offer of your friend, but as you (and presumably he) are in Poland, I think the P+P would make it too expensive. Do you have any tips for how to make your own? I have a friend who is good with that sort of stuff, who could probably do it for me, but I'd need to know what to ask.

I think both. The components are bad quality, the spectrum is wrong, and the light is not intense enough. Shipping from Poland to other EU countries is generally cheaper, than from EU to Poland :P I doubt it would be more than 10€ (maybe even half of that). The key is good components (don't use SMD). I don't have enough technical knowledge, to give you any more details :/

Hmm. Do's and don'ts? From my experience with this terrarium, I can say that the drainage on the bottom is not necessary. I've never seen any water dripping down there, and it takes precious space, that could be used by roots. Just water from above with some kind of sprinkler. If you just pour water from the bottle, it will just go straight through the soil, instead of slowly being absorbed. You just need to avoid a big stream of water. 

Avoid watering too much. Keep some live sphagnum and water the terrarium when it's getting a little bit drier, until it's nicely soaked. Also, invest in regular room humidifier. Make some kind of diy pipe, connecting the terrarium with the humidifier and turn it on for 15 minutes every 2hr. That will help a lot. Also, use one 40x40mm computer fan. 

• Like 1

Ok now has come the time for my final creation!
Giant terrarium, that I've made myself. The base is 90x40cm and height 150cm. 
s0p9ex6.jpg
hF5cyz8.jpg

I've used the polycarbon, instead of glass, because of it temperature isolation properties. This way I can maintain 10*C temperature drops, by simply putting frozen bottles inside. I use around 15-18 litres of ice every night.
The plants are divided into 3 levels:

level 1: Heliamphoras
AgAJowx.jpg

Heliamphora ceracea [Cerro Neblina]
EwNNdBb.jpg

Heliamphora chimantensis [Chimanta Tepui]

Heliamphora cilliata [Lowlands]
G7aCYtd.jpg
6nMYDGM.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [Amuri tepui] 
DOfNPr6.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [Araopan tepui] 
2J6HS7I.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [Chimanta tepui] 
QiNlOTw.jpg

Heliamphora folliculata [Aparaman Tepui, Venezuela]
3oi7Iom.jpg

Heliamphora heterodoxa [Gran Sabana]
Ky61dRr.jpg

Heliamphora huberi [Bonettia Forest]
0Ra1yu2.jpg

Heliamphora minor [Auyan Tepui]
X4DAqFT.jpg

Heliampohora neblinae [Cerro Neblina]
Heliamphora neblinae x hispida [Cerro Neblina]

Heliamphora nutans x heterodoxa (sharing it's pot with a pair of Brocchinia hechtioidesiyCmEL7.jpg

Heliamphora parva [Cerro Neblina]
foEPR94.jpg

Heliamphora 'Tequila'

Heliamphora tatei var. tatei [Cerro Duida]
JGlSpqC.jpg

Heliamphora uncinata [Amuri Tepui]

Brocchinia hechtioides
hZV9Fi3.jpg

Utricularia quelchii [Auyan Tepui]
XKcEzhy.jpg
cwDPa1s.jpg (lately new leaves started emerging at the two opposite ends of the mount!)

Level 2: highland nepenthes
BfMRLNn.jpg
KNqwZLn.jpg

Nepenthes aristolochioides (it shoul be on it's way to me soon)

Nepenthes glabrata
zsDQMxE.jpg
aZa1b0T.jpg

Nepenthes lowii (Trusmadi)
c98Ay9Y.jpg

Nepenthes lowii x ventricosa
66pPKag.jpg
FcjbsUt.jpg
O9zTzZL.jpg
0BRHXTg.jpg
RVJ14rr.jpg

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
ygwdSHP.jpg

Nepenthes vogelii
OBZxbKO.jpg

Utricularia alpina
eJbYdXA.jpg

Frizea 'Christina'
Tillandsia cyanea

Tillandsia feldhoffi
7OCJT3D.jpg

Tillandsia usneoides

Level 3: intermediate
5PiEN7c.jpg
ODHqubm.jpg

Nepenthes '7' (maxima?)
Nepenthes '17' (petiolata x veitchii?)

Nepenthes [lowii x veitchii] x spectabilis
7EJUnui.jpg

Nepenthes muluensis x lowii 

Nepenthes reinwardtiana
eUiVWOt.jpg

Nepenthes singalana Belirang
naf7MDU.jpg
oEObpRB.jpg

Nepenthes spectabilis x ventricosa
hoXfqki.jpg
rSYCjEI.jpg

Nepenthes Ventricosa 
giAfCka.jpg

Utricularia longifolia

Tillandsia cyanea
Tillandsia usneoides

Sophronitis coccinea
HHVJ863.jpg

Vanda PakChong Blue Jairak
iDkMm2s.jpg

All in all, I must say I'm pretty proud of it. However, I woul change a few things if I were to ever create a second one. First of all, I'd use a solid, welded skeleton, instead of a garage shelves. Second, I must think of some other way to attach the rails for glass. The silicone i not holding it well enough. And as last thing, I will have to change the floor, for something more waterproof.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30.09.2016 at 7:32 PM, Tropicat said:

Wow thats just awesome!!!

I am amazed at how you grow so many plants in such a small space. They look absolutely stunning (and im jealous at your sphagnum moss =P) its very inspiring. 

How do you water your plants?

Hi! Glad you like it :) To answer your question, I'm using such a contraption 2__26322_11.jpg

You pump it with the pump on top, and after that, you just squeeze the handle and it's nicely misting the plants. You can unscrew the cap a little bit, to control the grade of the mist, until it's pouring a stream of water, instead the mist. Very useful.

And today I wanted to show you a new spectacular hybrid by Borneo Exotics, that I got from Roraima.pl :) 

Nepenthes mirabilis var. globosa x hamata (let's call it Globata, to avoid that much writing)

Jh16z88.jpg?1

TiERkpb.jpg?1

O6h9mIl.jpg?1

1PO2o6K.jpg?1

I think that this hybrid has a lot of potential. Suprisingly, those pitchers looks a lot like N. robcantleyi x hamata, when it's the same size.

11 hours ago, Tropicat said:

Oh so you mist all your plants daily?

Interesting hybrid! I wonder how dark the colour will become.

Maybe not daily, because there is high humidity in the terrariums, and outside most plants are in trays, but every 3 days, when moss starts to dry, I give them a mist. Those hanging Nepenthes on windowsill I mist every day.

• Like 1

Today I'd like to show you some of my Pinguiculas! 

Unfortunately, they got a little bit mixed up, so I'm unsure about some of them, so I'm open for sugestions if I got something wrong! :)

P. cyclosecta
EYSGHbm.jpg

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'
Gi0eQrc.jpg

Pinguicula 'El Mirador'
MiwrZnu.jpg?1

Pinguicula laueana
7dYODvV.jpg?1
KBS9iwP.jpg?1

Pinguicula emarginata
aK62AVz.jpg?1

I'm not sure here, but it might be Pinguicula gracilis x emarginata
m5v6rIK.jpg?1

To the left is Pinguicula agnata x jaumavensis, on the right Pinguicula 'Tina' and at the bottom Pinguicula ehlersiae [Santa Catarina]
zq4vPpA.jpg?1
YLE2re7.jpg?1

Pinguicula gracilis (?)
2Pz0mb7.jpg?1

Pinguicula 'I have no idea what it is' :)
U55C51O.jpg

Pinguicula ehlersiae [Santa Catarina]
J3fKVWK.jpg?1

Pinguicula 'Tempa'
Sd8sHje.jpg?1

Pinguicula agnata x jaumavensis
kB85Knl.jpg?1

Dunno. Debbertiana or esseriana?
V5AeulL.jpg?1

Pinguicula agnata x gypsicola
GBi4WFq.jpg?1

And on the different note, a Dionaea, that I bought as unidentified. I'm guessing Dentate.
4wR97Wq.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...

A bunch of new photos :)

Drosera regia

ian7epd.jpg

And the same plant, kept in a plastic cup and pure peat, back in april. Regia is really not that hard :)

22s0yA2.jpg

Drosera latifolia [Itarare, Sao Paulo, Brazil] - unfortunately, it's difficult to take photos under led lights :/
ExRxb1B.jpg

Heliamphora 'Midoxa' - my first heli, bought a year ago (I've already sold 5 divisions of it!)
7fuYY9s.jpg

Heliamphora cilliata
vggunF6.jpg

Heliamphora hubri [Bonettia Forest]
yjeZuNn.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [Amuri Tepui]
bSVU607.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [ChimantaTepui]
pfjfrVa.jpg

• Like 1