7 cephs out of a bin

Frankie

3 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

If your young one is a boy then you've got another 14 years protecting to do if anything like mine!.

I still cringe when the football comes out.........

Girls can be just as bad had 3 glass panes on greenhouse broken by neighbours girls with balls over the years including last year from 2 doors away

regards

jim

Edited by tatter
incorrect word year instead of years

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, Tropicat said:

3 glass panes on greenhouse broken by girls with balls... they sure got some ........ 

I have strange neighbours lol

jim

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

I have an update if anyone is still interested. 5 here all doing well, I have (reluctantly) bequeathed a couple to family and am told they are doing well so 7/7 are still hanging on :biggrin:.

IMG_5857_zpsrrlfuyx4.jpg

IMG_5856_zpsh0fenspk.jpg

IMG_5855_zpsy99hswsv.jpg

IMG_5855_zpsy99hswsv.jpg

Have to confess I am very fond of these little plants now - so to continue my learning I have survived a winter any gems of advice for summer care. (Im in the South East uk)

Thanks all.

• Like 2

Nice one Frankie, they're all looking very happy.

Cephs don't seem to like being moved around much so I'd find a good spot and leave them there.

Semi shaded seems best for size of pitchers and colouring . 

Full sun will create darker red pitchers but they tend to be smaller, direct sun in high summer can be too much and cause the plant to get stunted  . 

Before I knew this I  spent one summer manoeuvring all my Cephs around the garden to keep them in full sun , at the end of the growing season they were looking pretty sorry for themselves but have recovered ok.

They can stand in rainwater throughout the summer but best approach is to fill the trays to an inch or two of rainwater and allow the water to empty before refilling. 

Cheers blocky 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good Evening,

Returning with an update and some questions if anyone can help?

So far they are all doing ok but there are some marks on the leaves on a couple of the plants that dont look great and I dont know what has caused them? I also am a little worried about rot, there is a fair bit of growth from the inside of the plant starting to appear and alot of moss and plant debris which is keeping everything quite wet. I have tried to clean it out to help airflow without touching the plant is the moss something I should get rid of? and should I cover with gravel or the like to suppress it going forward? 

Also the plants have produced alot of big leaves and only now starting to produce juvenile pitchers? are they going to get enough nutrition if in reality they arn't going to catch much before the end of the summer? 

Thanks all Frankie

Edited by Frankie

Some plants also naturally produce more or bigger non carnivorous leaves, the reddish marks on the green leaves is quite normal... I wouldn't be too concerned about moss unless it's swamping/strangling the plants.

Theres baby pitchers forming, the plants will soon be rewarding your tlc with some lovely traps. 

Leaf pullings are the best way of producing more divisions too so plants with lots of leaves gives you more material to work with.

great job 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenofeden said:

The red marks are damage caused by powdery mildew 

I get red areas on the leaves of my Cephs that sit in the sun Stephen, no mildew, just a kind of " blush" on the leaves... By the end of the summer I rarely have any all green leaves . All the leaves take on a purple/ red tinge. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello, do you still have any updates after all these years? I ask this question because I thought of buying such a type of flowers and I would like to know more about them. In fact, I remember from childhood how my mother raised them in our apartment. The whole house looked like a jungle. That's what I'd like to give my kids, but for that, I have to start now. This plan came to mind after reading the book Urban Jungle. She inspired me a lot. Of course, probably after that, I'll have a lot of waste, and I'll need the help of these guys. They offer a multitude of services that are also at reasonable prices. You can check their site right here 186needabin.com.

Edited by Carolyntgi