JMHoff

It is only getting better!

Recommended Posts

I've been reading some of the post from members having issues with the forum after the latest update.

In my opinion and experience the last couple of days I can say that "yes" there are some growing pains still unsolved BUT for the most part the new layout and functions of the forum have made a lot of things easier. Navigation is easier, the layout makes reading new post very accessible so I can only say I like it.

And yes, it is a positive rant  :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree - have had no problems using the new site and all changes I've noticed are for the better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new layout, though it took me a little while to find my way around things. Only recently found post preview!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it too.  I've still a couple of things to look into that Andy has asked me to do but I've been up to my eyeballs busy the last three days.  Things like hooking up the login from Facebook and Twitter and Google.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Richard Bunn said:

I like it too.  I've still a couple of things to look into that Andy has asked me to do but I've been up to my eyeballs busy the last three days.  Things like hooking up the login from Facebook and Twitter and Google.

Yeah, the Facebook one will be handy the next time I forget my forum login password :laugh1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time looking at the new forum today, and my reaction was disappointment at the way the "New content" has changed. Before, I could just look at new/updated forum threads, but now the list is cluttered with all sorts of other things as well. Also, it used to show just the threads, now it shows individual posts, so one thread could end up in there multiple times. Preferred the old display for that.

As for the thread display, it's OK. I preferred the old, but everyone seems to be moving towards this minimalistic design, so I guess it's just me that's old fashioned!

Most important thing is that the content is still great!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, when I clicked the "Submit Reply" button, it added my reply to the thread, but left the editor open with a red message telling me I can't submit multiple posts within a few seconds. I definitely only clicked it once.

I refreshed the page and clicked Reply (to add this comment), and the editor opened with my previous reply still there. Looks like a bug to me. I'll see what happens when I try to post this one.

Edit: Worked fine that time. Oh well, maybe I had a senior moment!

Edited by Yossu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

like the new layout

jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will take some getting used too but we have no choice just have to get on with it :roll:

Edited by Deltatango301

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, Yossu said:

Before, I could just look at new/updated forum threads, but now the list is cluttered with all sorts of other things as well. Also, it used to show just the threads, now it shows individual posts, so one thread could end up in there multiple times. Preferred the old display for that

Completely agree with this. Seeing every single post, especially when photo's make a post really long - is a complete pain in the A###

Can something be done about this, so we can see active threads and not every post!

 

To be honest this is putting me off of even coming on here. And I don't very often now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOTO - Activity
GOTO - My Activity Streams
GOTO - Create New Stream

In here you can pick what new content you want to see.

If all you want to see is new topics in the "Feedback Forum" you can set it up for this.

If all you want to see is new image posts you can set it up for this.

You can set it up ANYWAY you want and have as many streams as you like. Just save your new stream.

So really it is MUCH better than the old version you just have to look rather complain.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to be part of a forum that looked exactly like this and I think this is a great layout but don't you think there are too many topics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, saadplant said:

I use to be part of a forum that looked exactly like this and I think this is a great layout but don't you think there are too many topics

you can never have two many topics especially for newcomers to find answers

regards

jim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tatter said:

you can never have two many topics especially for newcomers to find answers

regards

jim

 

 

it kinda gets cluttered though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to remember that some of us are Dinosaurs, and don't have a clue how all this new stuff works and what it can and can't do, unless we are told / shown.

Anything computer / internet related, seems to have change just for the sake of it.

You spend nearly a year getting used to something and how it all works - then whoever, goes and changes everything and things that used to work no longer do and are now outdated. So you have to start all over again.

 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andy Collins said:

GOTO - Activity
GOTO - My Activity Streams
GOTO - Create New Stream

In here you can pick what new content you want to see.

If all you want to see is new topics in the "Feedback Forum" you can set it up for this.

If all you want to see is new image posts you can set it up for this.

You can set it up ANYWAY you want and have as many streams as you like. Just save your new stream.

So really it is MUCH better than the old version you just have to look rather complain.
 

Hi Andy,

thanks for the advice. Like many others here, I wasn't aware of that feature, it certainly helps, but is still flawed in one significant way. The old style "New content" listed topics just once, irrespective of how many new posts were in it. The new style lists each new reply separately, cluttering up the display. Is there a way to show topics just once? I couldn't see any, but maybe I missed something.

You can mitigate the problem a little by clicking the "Condensed" button at the top right of the list, which just shows the topic title and number of posts, so it's usable, but still a step backwards for most of us.

I don't think people are complaining, so much as expressing frustration at change, especially when it seems to lose functionality. I think we all appreciate how much effort is put in to making this such a great community. Maybe changes like this could be accompanied by a post from the mods explaining the changes, what's new, and where to find things that have moved. I think that would reduce the frustration.

thanks again for your explanation. Any more tips would be welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, Yossu said:

You can mitigate the problem a little by clicking the "Condensed" button at the top right of the list, which just shows the topic title and number of posts, so it's usable, but still a

Cheers Yossu

That is what I needed to know.

I still think this should be the default setting, as I'm sure it's how most people want it. And you can use this without having to Log In, so useful for anyone just browsing the net.

MUCH more user friendly than the current every single post setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or perhaps not.

On closer inspection, you still get every post.

But like you say issue not as bad.

The default setting needs to be just seeing the topics.

With changes possible if you want more. Not the other way round as currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.