Leucophylla dominant moorei hybrids seem to be a very intriguing group of plants, and this clone is no exception!  S. x moorei 'Bouquet' looks totally like a pure leucophylla, except it has some outstanding red coloration mixed into it!  The underside of the lid is dark red, as is the lip.  There's even dark red veins that weave into the white pigments, giving it a very eye-catching contrast of bright and dark colors.  This plant produces a profusion of pitchers that when clumped all together, looks like a bouquet....hence the name.  Easily one of my favorite mooreis out there so far because of how eye catching it is.  Note to all you out there trying to impress your significant other with plants: I would never in a 1000 years dream of making a bouquet out of this plant and giving it to my wife as a gift....she'll just say "didn't you just cut that off from the front yard?!"  Sigh, no love or appreciation for how difficult it is to grow this stuff, imagine how much the plant is set back from such a harvest....maybe not the same response you'll get, but just sharing my experience :)

Photos taken 9/8/16:

29514189346_a9b9a49868_c.jpg

29467771011_5b09886c53_c.jpg

29467764331_1abeec2fa7_c.jpg

28923065204_aa47327af6_c.jpg

29514176266_ba08529eec_c.jpg

Kinky lip:

28926569614_ac94080d57_c.jpg

28928961143_3a9b12e390_c.jpgn

Edited by meizwang

Your plants always look good outside.I know they are in their native country but don't they ever get aphids??

Anything i try outside last about a week or until you take your eyes off it,then they are covered in them.

• Like 1

I've had several infestations on my vft's Ada but never found any aphids on my Sarras?

Slugs , snails, tortrix moth caterpillars, foxes, footballs, wind, rain, dehydrated but no aphids.....

Just lucky I guess..........

• Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 8:02 AM, ada said:

Your plants always look good outside.I know they are in their native country but don't they ever get aphids??

Anything i try outside last about a week or until you take your eyes off it,then they are covered in them.

Hi Ada,

We have it all: thrips, slugs, snails, aphids, etc.  They really hit us bad in the late spring and early summer when all the native vegetation dies off. The insects swarm my plants because that's all that's left.    Also, California has a drastically different climate than where Sarracenias originate: the Southeastern US is a semi-tropical climate, and I'm in a mediterranean climate.  Ironically, our climate here in California is probably better than the climate in the wild, at least in terms of growing Sarracenia.

Anyhow, at this time of the year here in California, native insect pests are less of an issue.  It's been warm and dry all summer long, and aphids, etc. thrive when it's cooler and moist aka when lots of plants are green.  Much of the native vegetation here this time of year is yellow, dead, and dry.

Interestingly enough, for about 12 year straight, we had close to zero signs of powdery mildew.  In the past 5 years, it shows up year after year, although some years it's not too bad.   I thought I did something wrong, but turns out california Carnivores experienced the exact same thing, so we think it has to do with the weather.

With regards to spraying for insects, we definitely have to spray for them 2-3 times per year.  Again, about 5 years ago, I never sprayed.  I prefer to clip off all of the pitchers during the winter and then wait a few weeks to let all the natural enemies (mostly birds, but other animals) pick at all the insects that were protected by all the dense growth.  After the feeding frenzy is done, I then do a nice sprench on all of the plants (drench the rhizomes in insecticide).  Once the traps fully emerge in the spring, I then use a systemic to get the thrips or anything new that may have shown up, and then one last application to ensure any eggs that hatched during the meantime get hit.  For the rest of the season, the plants are in good shape and need no more applications until the following year.    

The downside to clipping off all the pitchers during the winter is having smaller spring pitchers, but the upside to it is that you drastically reduce powdery mildew and you also expose all the nasty insects that would otherwise be protected by  thick vegetation.