Vining Orchids ?

North West Neps

Hey guys 'n gals, i'm looking to do some companion planting in my intermediate/highland nephouse, and i was wondering if anyone can recommend some vining orchids that would climb around the timber staging in my greenhouse ? I wouldn't want anything too big or leafy that would block light levels from my neps, something with long internodes and small or thin leaves i'm thinking would be ideal, and if it has a nice perfume then even better !

Are there any suitable candidates out there ?

Vanillas would fit nicely but they will really struggle in winter or with cool temperatures, min 18C. There are some highland varieties but theyre really hard to get hold off. Also they dont flower unless the vine is pretty biggggg......

Vanilla aphylla can sometimes be found and is leafless, i've overwintered it at 15C and it just about survived but i wouldnt reccomend it at those temps.

Edited by manders

Vanilla is really the only one I know of but it needs to get high to flower, and the flowers aren't particularly remarkable. I'd think with a min of 18C though it shouldn't be a problem. But could depend on how long it stays that low.

There is Erythrorchis cassythoides, but it's a saprophyte and difficult, if not impossible, to cultivate.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I did have a search around the net before starting this thread, and i could only really come up with Planifolia myself. Thats why i thought i'd turn to you guys. Unfortunately a min temp of 18c is out of the question, the neps comfort zone takes presidence !

I'm tempted to give Oncidium globuliferum a try, sounds ideal, but i was wondering if my constant 70 to 100 humidity would be too much for it ? Also, due to my misting system coming on nightly, the soil wouldn't dry out between waterings.

• 4 years later...

My planifolia sees temperatures occasionally down to single figures and grows just fine. It's in a SE facing conservatory which is generally unheated at night in all but the coldest winters. During the day it can get warm in there if the sun's out. I've not had a flower yet but it's only 3 or 4 metres so far!